Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear A-arm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minesh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear A-arm
    Posted: Jul/03/2013 at 6:42am
Guys i need your help regarding the Double wishbone suspension mounting in the rear. As we all know, in double wishbone the best suspension characteristics are obtained when the suspension is mounted on the lower A-arm. But, in our BAJA ATVs we are unable to do so in the rear due to the drive transmission shafts. Inspite of this many teams use the double wishbone type suspension with the suspension mounted on the upper A-arm. My query is does it really give a satisfactory result and what are it's disadvantages or advantages over lower A-arm wishbone mounting..?
mp
Pedro UFPBaja View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro UFPBaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2013 at 12:07pm
Lowers the CG and allows the upper arm becomes extremely light, since it will only have to control camber.

To the suspension geometry and constants makes no difference.
Former Team Captain
Pedro UFPBaja View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro UFPBaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2013 at 12:19pm
It is NOT impossible to place the shocks in lower arm even though the drive shaft passing by

Former Team Captain
Minesh View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minesh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2013 at 11:43pm
ok ok. Thanx a lot.
mp
joey.m.gonzalez View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey.m.gonzalez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2013 at 3:37am
Hah, that last pic is our car from two years ago... that setup worked like crap but I blame the designer, lol
ahmed View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2013 at 12:40pm
hello guys,

I've a little problem with understanding the REAR double wishbone mounting, in Race Car Vehicle Dynamics there is a form consisting of two A-arms and a toe link (or sometimes called track rod).

what's the use of this link? can i ignore it especially i've see many rear double wishbone systems with only the A-arms and the shock absorber !!

Thanks
Richie_Dagger View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Richie_Dagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2013 at 4:08am
It adjusts toe. And depending on how you design your suspension, you can get toe change throughout suspension travel.
ahmed View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2013 at 12:22pm
so why i see teams using just 2 A-arms without this link ( like this in the picture below) , how can they adjust the toe angle. you know that much space is needed in the rear to mount the half axles.

Soccerdan7 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2013 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by ahmed ahmed wrote:

so why i see teams using just 2 A-arms without this link ( like this in the picture below) , how can they adjust the toe angle. you know that much space is needed in the rear to mount the half axles.

That picture shows H arms, not A arms. A arms have a single outboard pivot. The upper and lower a arm pivots create a steer axis about which the wheel can turn (just like the front suspension). That is why you need a rear toe link. With H arms, they constrain any pivoting about a steer axis which means you can not independently set toe and you don't need that added link.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Former Captain / MEng / that guy with all the carbon
10 races, 7 top ten's, 2 overall wins
ahmed View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2013 at 8:48am
Originally posted by Soccerdan7 Soccerdan7 wrote:

That picture shows H arms, not A arms. A arms have a single outboard pivot. The upper and lower a arm pivots create a steer axis about which the wheel can turn (just like the front suspension). That is why you need a rear toe link. With H arms, they constrain any pivoting about a steer axis which means you can not independently set toe and you don't need that added link.

so what's the difference between H-arms and A-arms with twin outer ball joints like this in the image ?
because in this type we need a fifth link too (the toe link)
i think i need to understand the difference between the outer joint type in A-arms setup and H-arms setup ?!!

mikem View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2013 at 9:35am
An H-arm has a bushing for its outboard point. It thus constrains two additional degrees of freedom then a pure A-arm, which has a ball joint instead.

Think about the motion an a-arm would restrict vs an H-arm and it should make sense to you. Think about how the tire can move with the different constraints.
Mike M.
Team Captain 2011-2013
McGill Baja Racing 2009-2013
minibaja.mcgill.ca
ahmed View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2013 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by mikem mikem wrote:

An H-arm has a bushing for its outboard point. It thus constrains two additional degrees of freedom then a pure A-arm, which has a ball joint instead.

Think about the motion an a-arm would restrict vs an H-arm and it should make sense to you. Think about how the tire can move with the different constraints.

thanks

Edited by ahmed - Aug/29/2013 at 3:33pm
ahmed View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2013 at 3:32pm
hello guys,

I'm designing the geometry of the REAR suspension, and i can't see the difference between using a normal A-arm and an A-arm with twin outer ball joints

if somebody can help, please do. Thank you ^^

zmpeck View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zmpeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2013 at 3:50pm

What more of an answer do you are you looking for?  You posted a picture that clearly describes the differences.  Both will work, one uses less parts. If you're seeking to implement some anti/pro's or dynamic toe characteristics, you will have more freedom with the A-arm/toe link configuration.  If you're just trying to make the suspension go up & down, i'd stick with the H-arm.

Edited by zmpeck - Aug/29/2013 at 3:53pm
ahmed View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2013 at 8:11am
i need to know the name of this rear suspension setup to search for its advantages,disadvantages, joints, installation ...

cujdubs View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cujdubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2013 at 9:15am
That is a H-Arm. You notice that the upright has no ability to rotate about the king pin axis and there are no toe links.
John Hannum
Clarkson University
Steering Leader
ahmed View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2013 at 9:32am
do you know a suspension software to model this setup and simulate it , i need to check how camber,caster,toe, kingpin, ... change with wheel travel?
Red_Beard View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Red_Beard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2013 at 9:57am

do you know a suspension software to model this setup and simulate it , i need to check how camber,caster,toe, kingpin, ... change with wheel travel?

Solidworks
SDSM&T 09-10 Team Lead
2nd & 9th Baja West

Project Engineer
Matrix Service - Bellingham, WA
ahmed View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2013 at 11:57am
but this suspension mechanism is only kinematic if your chassis attachment points are perfectly parallel and your upright axis are also perfectly aligned.
Any angular error particularly with pivot joints all-round will cause the suspension to lock-up under bump/rebound travel as it is over constrained.

don't you think so ?
zglazer View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zglazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2013 at 1:38pm
You can account for that with a good jigging setup and by using spherical joints or rod ends at some of the pivot points to allow for misalignment.
Zack Glazer
McGill Baja Racing Alumnus 2009-2013 http://baja.mcgilleus.ca/
2012-2013 Drivetrain Designer
cujdubs View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cujdubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2013 at 3:03pm
Some teams and some production vehicles use hard rubber or something similar for the bushing material so that there is alittle give to compensate for things not being perfect.
John Hannum
Clarkson University
Steering Leader
ahmed View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2013 at 5:27pm
so what's the advantage of this setup over using a H-arm and single upper link, why would someone take the risk of having his suspension locked up especially that i think the setup below provides a similar behavior like the two H-arms and can replace it, am i right ?

Soccerdan7 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2013 at 5:58pm
A setup with 2 H arms is better at reacting moments from the wheel loads and makes it easier to mount the shock to the upper link. The picture you attached with the single upper link is essentially the same anyway since the pivots are bushings, and those bushings will probably wear out quickly.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Former Captain / MEng / that guy with all the carbon
10 races, 7 top ten's, 2 overall wins
ahmed View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2013 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by Soccerdan7 Soccerdan7 wrote:

A setup with 2 H arms is better at reacting moments from the wheel loads and makes it easier to mount the shock to the upper link. The picture you attached with the single upper link is essentially the same anyway since the pivots are bushings, and those bushings will probably wear out quickly.

i thinks it's much better to mount the shock on the lower arm !,
i guess i will have the bushings problem in both setups :(
OffTrac View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote OffTrac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2013 at 6:57pm
If you're looking for software to simulate a geometry you've already got drawn out, Lotus is useful. But to be honest, it's just to validate a design and show it's characteristics throughout the range of motion...you have to have the majority of the things you listed above (king pin, caster, etc changing with wheel rate) to get a good simulation output.

Least that's what I've found it useful for - It's definitely not a "my top arm is X and bottom is Y, I want Z caster and...." and it spits out a finished geometry you can cut and weld together.

It's a lot of work. But it's worth it in the end.
Jacob Rhodes
BBB Motorsports
CWRU Baja
Captain '12 '13
"If it can get a tire on it, it'll go over it"
ahmed View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2013 at 1:42pm
Does anybody know the advantages of the H-arm & single upper link suspension rather than the few number of links and the easy packaging ?
I'm puzzled to use this setup or use a three link suspension like this in Polaris rzr
jeiB View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2013 at 4:21pm

Does anybody know the advantages of the H-arm & single upper link suspension rather than the few number of links and the easy packaging ?
I'm puzzled to use this setup or use a three link suspension like this in Polaris rzr

Its the same difference.
Jeremie B.
McGill Baja Racing
2009-2011 Captain
minibaja.mcgill.ca
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic