Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Force Determination for the Roll Cage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abhimanyu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Force Determination for the Roll Cage
    Posted: Jun/23/2013 at 1:11pm
Hey...i am very confused on how to calculate all the impact forces on the rollcage..i have looked at the basic methods to calculate Impact force..but the forces differ greatly from what has been taught by the ALTAIR Hyperworks in a Webinar...they took the impact force to be 4G for front impact..how is it determined ????

robins5d View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robins5d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2013 at 8:50pm
We got our forces by rolling an old car with an accelerometer firmly bolted to it and recording the data. But you can also use stress/strain gauges.
Paul Robinson
Rowan University Baja Captain 2012-2013
http://rowansae.weebly.com/index.html
Pedro UFPBaja View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro UFPBaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2013 at 11:39pm
One more post begging teaching and not asking for tips.
Former Team Captain
taukea View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taukea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2013 at 10:58am
I think there is some legitimacy to this question.  Albeit there could have been more searching done.  I for one, am not sure how you would go about taking accurate "real world" frame loading values.  My first suggestion I guess would be to bolt a hefty strain gauge between you suspension mounts and your suspension components.  That or perhaps you could have some sort of set up with a string pot hung out over your suspension such that you can measure suspension travel over time?  I'm not a engineering student so I was never really taught this stuff Thumbs Down.  My major is Industrial Technology so manufacturing and management of engineering/ mfg (a daunting task at time) is more my focus.  

We have had a lot of stupid questions on here lately but don't be so quick to jump people with the "you don't deserve an answer" reply.

Edited by taukea - Jun/25/2013 at 11:02am
Iowa State Tech Director 2013-2014
Iowa State Project Director 2012-2013
Pedro UFPBaja View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro UFPBaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2013 at 12:53pm
Former Team Captain
arnoldous View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arnoldous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2013 at 2:51am
Well. a forum is  specified for requiring tips and it should not be considered a begging by anyone.Also to the question is not a meek one but a real concern. And very well explained through the suggestion too.
rollcage

Edited by arnoldous - Jul/12/2013 at 3:02am
arnoldous roa
maria View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2013 at 3:21am
I like it very much thanks for sharing this information with us….:)

maria
arnoldous View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arnoldous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2013 at 4:05am
Formula to calculate impact force for the roll cage is:
F= - ½*m*v*v*1/ d 
Where f= impact force and d=displacement
arnoldous roa
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic