Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Preferred CVT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paboaglez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2014 at 12:08pm
So, in Rochester 2013, 6 of the top 10 endurace race used Gaged...

In theory is best to have a big overall ratio for our Briggs engine, like CVTech 3:1, 0.43:1 overall ideal and theorical = 6.98

But as I have read and asked; Gaged Ratios:
Gaged with 6" Drive and 8" Drive; 4:1 and 0.9:1 OR = 4.44
Gx9 3.5:1, .85:1 OR = 4.11
Gx7 3:1, .65:1 OR = 4.61

The overall ratio, (low speed ratio/ high speed ratio), in Gaged is way lower to the CVTech...

So my question is why Gaged CVT is better CVT for Bajas??

I would say:
Is lighter like 30%
High efficiency
the low speed ratio is bigger than CVTech
all above

I am not sure, so maybe you can help me, do someone has data about it (efficiency and real ratios)

Thank you in advance
Paboaglez View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paboaglez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2014 at 12:11pm
Is easier to tune

njgedr View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njgedr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2014 at 12:47pm
Eventually, I expect to see some scooter clutches in baja cars. They are sized perfectly for ~10 hp We are always working with them here at Gates, they are so much smaller, lighter, and simpler than the Polaris or Gaged. If anyone is interested in specifics I can try to get some scooter models they go in. The US is not a very big scooter country, I guess that is why many teams have not seen them before.

I found that CVT tuning in baja has much less effect than snowmobiles or something with a steeper torque curve. There is still value in tuning, but narrowing down on the exact weights and springs never had much effect for us. I would much rather have a smaller lower inertia CVT with less tunability. However, Laval had their CVTech figured out pretty good... unless it was just weight. I attribute the Cornell performance to launch control and weight.
Rowan Baja 2009-2012
Auburn 09
Peoria 11
Epreuve Du Norde 12
Auburn 12
Wisconsin 12

Mubea Development Engineer
Paboaglez View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paboaglez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2014 at 1:51pm
could you post some information of this scooter cvt?? webpage or specifications???
Richie_Dagger View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richie_Dagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2014 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by njgedr njgedr wrote:

Eventually, I expect to see some scooter clutches in baja cars. They are sized perfectly for ~10 hp We are always working with them here at Gates, they are so much smaller, lighter, and simpler than the Polaris or Gaged. If anyone is interested in specifics I can try to get some scooter models they go in. The US is not a very big scooter country, I guess that is why many teams have not seen them before.

I found that CVT tuning in baja has much less effect than snowmobiles or something with a steeper torque curve. There is still value in tuning, but narrowing down on the exact weights and springs never had much effect for us. I would much rather have a smaller lower inertia CVT with less tunability. However, Laval had their CVTech figured out pretty good... unless it was just weight. I attribute the Cornell performance to launch control and weight.
If the 50cc VIP scooters they sell in town here had a big enough CVT that would be perfect. I can't go outside or on craigslist without being bombarded by dozens of those things...
Pedro UFPBaja View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro UFPBaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2014 at 3:28am
Thas how a baja car runs with a scooter cvt:

The smoke is the belt frying. A baja is at least twice heavy and the engine was 3 or 4 times more torque but with 1/3 of the rpm. Absolutely incompatible.

Edited by Pedro UFPBaja - Apr/01/2014 at 3:31am
Former Team Captain
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richie_Dagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2014 at 11:23am
I actually thought the smoke was because a complete 2 stroke scooter engine + drivetrain was thrown into that thing! That's some pretty impressive belt smokin'.
njgedr View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njgedr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2014 at 4:12pm
I attribute the smoke to poor tuning on the clutching... probably a Dayco belt too haha. There are scooter clutches out there for around 15-17 hp. Even a scooter clutch designed to run at 5 hp can work if tuned correctly for double the hp and load. Unfortunately I can't share which clutch we are working on, but we are tuning it to handle 15 hp nearly triple what it was designed for. I would guess it is very similar to the clutch out of that smoking car. Even a centrifugal clutch will work on 10 hp, you would be hard pressed to find a cvt that can't be tuned to handle it. 
Rowan Baja 2009-2012
Auburn 09
Peoria 11
Epreuve Du Norde 12
Auburn 12
Wisconsin 12

Mubea Development Engineer
Pedro UFPBaja View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro UFPBaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2014 at 6:08pm
Many brazilian teams tried to tune a scooter cvts in late 90's, noone get even close to the performance of the good old comet 780 that time.
Former Team Captain
NanMohz View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NanMohz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2014 at 4:14am
We are planning to use a hybrid CVT this year (Keeping our comet 780 secondary as such and buying a new primary). So have any of you guys out here have tried using hybrid's? Since many of the manufacturers provide CVT's specifically tuned for BAJA, will our option be a finer one to choose indeed?
TEAM AGRAGANYA BAJA
Akron 1998 to 2004 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master
Thread Hijack Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akron 1998 to 2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2014 at 10:45am

What's your goal?  Specific range of gears, tune ability, something else?  Is there a deficiency with the 780 you are trying to correct? 

Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richie_Dagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2014 at 12:54pm
We are putting together a P90 Primary/CVTech secondary hybrid. I believe OSU ran the same hybrid setup? I really like the P90 primary. Easy to dissemble, very tune-able, and lighter than our CVTech primary.
paasch View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paasch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2014 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Richie_Dagger Richie_Dagger wrote:

We are putting together a P90 Primary/CVTech secondary hybrid. I believe OSU ran the same hybrid setup? I really like the P90 primary. Easy to dissemble, very tune-able, and lighter than our CVTech primary.

We've never run a CVTech at competition. We used Polaris 2001-2010, then switched to Gaged in 2011. We tested CVTech in 2008, but found it not as tune-able as the Polaris. 
Bob Paasch
Faculty Advisor
Oregon State SAE
Soccerdan7 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2014 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by Richie_Dagger Richie_Dagger wrote:

We ran a Polaris P90 / CVTech (heavily modified) secondary. It worked quite well for our 2010 and 2011 cars before we switched to the Gaged CVT. 

Be mindful of different belt widths, angles, etc... A hybrid can be tricky.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Former Captain / MEng / that guy with all the carbon
10 races, 7 top ten's, 2 overall wins
instinct View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote instinct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2016 at 5:51pm
How is it possible for CVT to remain on its engagement rpm all the time when its changing ratio from initial to final value. I think CVT changes its ratio only because of increase in its rpm....could u plz explain
drvr5 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drvr5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2016 at 12:14am
Well, the secondary rpm increases as you accelerate. The rest is down to the magic of springs, cams, and physics
abishek View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abishek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2016 at 11:36pm
how to do a cvt tuning in a polaris
can u help me with it
sujandinesh View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sujandinesh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2016 at 10:08am
My man, no human being in the world can help you effectively tune a CVT by a mere conversation in a forum.

A lot of teams in India have used/still use Polaris. Why not contact them? 
RVCE BAJA: 2011-2015
General Motors: 2015-2016
Tyre Testing - University Racing Eindhoven: 2016-2017
Tyre Dynamics - TASS International: 2017-2018

Tyre Engineer - Apollo Vredestein
The Netherlands
SAIKUMAR983 View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAIKUMAR983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2018 at 12:00pm
still, they providing for free. If yes then tell me where I have to order
RLM View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2018 at 7:52am
Free CVT? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL This made my day LOL
McMaster Baja Racing (09-Dec 2015)
Team Captain 2012-2015
Suspension Lead 2015-2016
All spoonfeed PM requests will be billed at $10 USD per reply, payable via paypal.
Andy.R View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy.R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2018 at 8:06pm
I love the 2 years between replies
Andrew Raudabaugh
-Cyclone Off Road Racing 2013-18
-Aspiring Lottery Winner
-Just show up and do things
vin2000 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2018 at 12:14pm
Hmm after two years do we have any new CVT OEM in town? A lot of teams are pushing towards the custom ones but I have a feeling something will come up on the map just like AFCO shocks!
RVCE-BAJA
2011-2015
www.thrbaja.com
Max RG View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max RG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2019 at 4:03pm
Hi.
I have a doubt about this question. What is and what is the use of "overall"?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic