Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Drip Pan and Splash Shield

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote y_bn_ahmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drip Pan and Splash Shield
    Posted: Feb/23/2013 at 7:51am
Hello Members,

We are a new team joining the Baja competition for the first time,

after reading the rules we were a bit confused about the Drip Pan and the Splash Shield placement

I believe that the splash shield should be mounted above the fuel tank and the drip pan somewhere below however do we have to ATTACH the drip pan to the engine? or can we use it as an external object? Dead

If someone could provide us with a picture on how these two objects are attached, we would be grateful!

Thank You in advance Smile

zglazer View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zglazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2013 at 5:35pm
The drip pan and splash shield do not need to be attached to the engine.
Zack Glazer
McGill Baja Racing Alumnus 2009-2013 http://baja.mcgilleus.ca/
2012-2013 Drivetrain Designer
y_bn_ahmed View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote y_bn_ahmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2013 at 11:58pm
Thank you ! Big smile
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote y_bn_ahmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2013 at 5:30am
If anyone could provide us with a picture on how to use them, that would be great too Ermm
collinskl1 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2013 at 8:26am
a little bit of searching goes a long way...

http://forums.bajasae.net/forum/spill-prevention_topic329.html?KW=splash
Kyle Collins
Lipscomb University Alumni
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive
Product Engineer, Electronic Power Steering

... and the 8th simple machine: a bigger hammer.
zglazer View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zglazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2013 at 11:11am
There are some pictures in the rules too...
Zack Glazer
McGill Baja Racing Alumnus 2009-2013 http://baja.mcgilleus.ca/
2012-2013 Drivetrain Designer
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote y_bn_ahmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2013 at 1:03pm
They look great! but i was looking towards the drip pan to be specific
collinskl1 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2013 at 2:16pm
Unless I misinterpreted the rules the whole time I was involved, the drip pan and splash shield are the same thing.  It's one part.
Kyle Collins
Lipscomb University Alumni
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive
Product Engineer, Electronic Power Steering

... and the 8th simple machine: a bigger hammer.
sandres913 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandres913 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2013 at 5:03pm
I think I know...if your splash guard doesn't fully cover the exhaust, you need something else that does cover the exhaust. We got called out on it in 2011. We just riveted/bolted a piece of sheet metal to the splash guard to cover the general area of the exhaust, then used "sound engineering practice" to make sure the whole thing was fixed in place.
Shaun
Purdue University Calumet - PUC Motorsports
2010 - Washington #18
2011 - Peoria #30
2012 - Wisconsin #54
Soccerdan7 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2013 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by sandres913 sandres913 wrote:

I think I know...if your splash guard doesn't fully cover the exhaust, you need something else that does cover the exhaust. We got called out on it in 2011. We just riveted/bolted a piece of sheet metal to the splash guard to cover the general area of the exhaust, then used "sound engineering practice" to make sure the whole thing was fixed in place.

Correct. If you only follow the minimum size requirements for the drip pan, located directly on top of the gas tank, you will need a splash shield as well. The drip pan has the rules about size and draining and the line, etc whereas the splash shield is simply anything that prevents a small splash of gas getting on the hot exhaust. An inclined metal panel will suffice for that so that any splash would drip off away from the engine.

It is easier to just make them both as one physical part, unless you use a removable gas tank. With an RGT, the box itself is the drip pan and needs to be drained appropriately, and you will probably need some splash shield extensions to cover everything else.

Also, keep in mind all of this should be located inside of the secondary member rollcage envelope as it is a part of the "fuel system."
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Former Captain / MEng / that guy with all the carbon
10 races, 7 top ten's, 2 overall wins
Joao View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2013 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by y_bn_ahmed y_bn_ahmed wrote:

I believe that the splash shield should be mounted above the fuel tank and the drip pan somewhere below however do we have to ATTACH the drip pan to the engine? or can we use it as an external object? Dead

Be careful with that, even the drip pan and splash shield do not need to be attach to the engine, they must be attach to something...e.g. to the engine or to the chassis. 

I mention this because the "external" could be undertood as "removable"...and that's not allowed

Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote y_bn_ahmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2013 at 10:32am
Thank You guys/gals for your replies, got some useful infos!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic