Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1:1 steering gearbox baja

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srjhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1:1 steering gearbox baja
    Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 11:34pm
We were using a 16:1 gear box for our BAJA ATV. Now for quick maneuvering we have bought a 1:1 rack and pinion steering gearbox.

Everything remains same ( such as weight, parts and all) as in the first vehicle ( where 16:1 steering gear box were used).

1. What are the differences using a 1:1 gearbox ? As in, does it mean that the torque to be applied multiplies by 16 times using 1:1 gearbox ?

2. What is the formula for calculation of the load acting ? 
Priyank View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master
I don't search

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Priyank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2012 at 7:39pm
These were the basics of steering.
The ratio was used because of the mechanical advantage.

Using a 1:1 system will make the steering extremely hard, forget manoeuvre, considering you are not using power steering.
If you are, then that's a different thing.
You never stop learning.
srjhere View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srjhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2012 at 11:52pm
What would be the best steering gear ratio range considering the maneuvering needs in a baja competition ?
What are the other factors that determine the steering effort in an automobile ? 
Priyank View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master
I don't search

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Priyank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2012 at 12:03am
DIY !
Calculate lateral loads exerted on the tie rods when the wheels are turning, see how much force you can apply by hand and then see what ratio you'd be needing.
This is an ideal case.
You never stop learning.
srjhere View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srjhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2012 at 12:07am
Is any BAJA ATV using 1:1 steering gear ratio without power assistance ?
abenn View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2012 at 1:22am
We use a 1:1 mechanical ratio with our handlebars. Thumbs Up
Andy Benn
Northeastern University Baja SAE
http://www.facebook.com/nubaja
http://www.numotorsports.com
srjhere View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srjhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2012 at 2:25am
is maneuvering hard? 
zglazer View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zglazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2012 at 11:57am
Don't forget about the diameter of the steering wheel as well...
Zack Glazer
McGill Baja Racing Alumnus 2009-2013 http://baja.mcgilleus.ca/
2012-2013 Drivetrain Designer
Priyank View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master
I don't search

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Priyank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2012 at 8:03pm
Handlebars are banned in BAJA.
You never stop learning.
zglazer View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zglazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2012 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by Priyank Priyank wrote:

Handlebars are banned in BAJA.
No they are not.
Zack Glazer
Priyank View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master
I don't search

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Priyank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2012 at 9:22pm
In India, they are !
You never stop learning.
zglazer View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zglazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2012 at 9:33pm

In India, they are !
Interesting. I know there are a variety of differences between the North American rules and the Indian ones, but I wasn't aware of that one. I wonder what caused them to introduce that rule.
Zack Glazer
Priyank View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master
I don't search

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Priyank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2012 at 9:36pm
Probably it is safer to use the wheel, WRT hand movements.
Larger motions of hands are needed, which are difficult to do when you're completely strapped onto the seat.
Just guessing.
You never stop learning.
Soccerdan7 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2012 at 3:14am
We looked at doing handlebars a few years back, and you really don't need that high of a range of motion. Maybe the Northeastern guys could comment on this, but I don't think it would be much worse than a steering wheel in terms of wrist restraints.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Former Captain / MEng / that guy with all the carbon
10 races, 7 top ten's, 2 overall wins
Priyank View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master
I don't search

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Priyank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2012 at 3:43am
I would love to work on a handle bar. It would be much more fun Smile
Would look way hotter as well !
You never stop learning.
abenn View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2012 at 11:49am
You don't really need that much more than a steering wheel. We have always seemed to make it work and pass tech still. Handlebars make it really easy to go from lock to lock so in my opinion it is much for fun as well.
Andy Benn
Northeastern University Baja SAE
http://www.facebook.com/nubaja
http://www.numotorsports.com
Bajasid View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bajasid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2013 at 1:07am
Originally posted by zglazer zglazer wrote:

In India, they are !
Interesting. I know there are a variety of differences between the North American rules and the Indian ones, but I wasn't aware of that one. I wonder what caused them to introduce that rule.

It seems handlebars were banned after our seniors used them repeatedly to their advantage in the first couple of seasons. And because it was only a single team(DCE) doing so, they banned it thereafter.
Sad.
Soccerdan7 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2013 at 1:12am
Originally posted by Bajasid Bajasid wrote:

It seems handlebars were banned after our seniors used them repeatedly to their advantage in the first couple of seasons. And because it was only a single team(DCE) doing so, they banned it thereafter.
Sad.

That seems very counterproductive to the whole "engineering design" aspect of the competition which is supposed to be the primary purpose of Baja SAE. If they outlaw something for a safety reason, that is one thing, but outlawing something just because 1 team is doing it well and winning is silly. 
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Former Captain / MEng / that guy with all the carbon
10 races, 7 top ten's, 2 overall wins
Priyank View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master
I don't search

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Priyank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2013 at 12:44pm
I'm sure the case wasn't hollow and there would have been alot more to it.
You never stop learning.
Sabeel Ahmed View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabeel Ahmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2015 at 6:25am
May I know Where did u bought 1:1 rack and pinion gear box ?
A_Cash View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A_Cash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2016 at 5:15am
We are using 1:1 ratio and no handlebars . I'd like to know your experience , if anyone has used similar configuration .
Nick914 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick914 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2016 at 8:26am
We used to have a 2-2.5:1 ratio which is great for dynamic event but comes with high steering effort for the endurance race.
Nicholas Lefebvre

Universite Laval
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic