Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srivathsadsv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .
    Posted: Oct/04/2012 at 5:34am

Edited by srivathsadsv - Dec/05/2012 at 1:34am
Soccerdan7 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2012 at 10:04am
I highly doubt a team will simply hand you over their entire design. Do you not have this information from one of your previous vehicles?
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Former Captain / MEng / that guy with all the carbon
10 races, 7 top ten's, 2 overall wins
Priyank View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master
I don't search

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Priyank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2012 at 12:20am
Exactly my point.
No one's gonna come straight and give the specicifics
srivathsadsv View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srivathsadsv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2012 at 12:40am
Thanks for your reply.Smile

No I don t have any required vehicle information with me.Cry
After understanding the importance of virtual testing in vehicle development,I decided to spend more time on analysis but not on data acquisition.So I am making a request here.If the teams dont like to share the current vehicle information,they can  (if they are interested) share the information of any of their previous vehicles.
The only intention of the current work is to establish a virtual testing methodology.
.........................................................................................................................................................
Regards   

Srivathsa 
India
Priyank View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master
I don't search

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Priyank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2012 at 1:19am
I understand you're doing the good thing.
And it's not a question of not wanting to give
It's about the collection of the entire data and give JLT.

You should instead go to a specific city team and see their vehicle.
sandres913 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandres913 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2012 at 10:29am
As an engineer, you have to make some assumptions. This would be one of those times. If you're a post graduate, I would expect you've heard that a few times by now. I understand what you're trying to do, but asking other teams for sensitive data probably is not the best way to go.

As far as the 3D CAD model - you are NEVER going to get that from any team. End of story. Your team should be producing its own 3D model prior to building.

The things you're asking for can and will vary from team to team, year to year. That sort of information is generally kept VERY close to the chest as it gives away a ton of information about the design that went into the systems(mass, COG, parts, etc). If you can't figure it out from video or pictures of another team's car, you definitely will not be getting such specific information from the team. Even previous vehicles are generally kept locked up. Again, make some assumptions, that will get you farther than asking other teams for sensitive data.
Shaun
Purdue University Calumet - PUC Motorsports
2010 - Washington #18
2011 - Peoria #30
2012 - Wisconsin #54
Soccerdan7 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2012 at 10:41am
I agree. If it is just an academic exercise to get this system up and running than the number almost do not matter. I will give you a head start.

wheelbase: 60-62 inch
tracks: 52-56 inch
RCs: 0-15 inch off ground
castor: 5-15 degrees
steering angle: up to 40 deg
% ackerman: 10-50%
ground clearance 8-12 inches
travel: 8-12 inches
weight: 375-425 lbs
% F/R anywhere from 30/70 to 50/50
% antidive: who cares

I think I just described the characteristics of a typical car to finish in the top half at competition. Pick what is reasonable and just go with it. The results you get won't be any worse than if I were to scrounge up some broke-a$$ CAD model from 4 years ago for a car that nobody remembers and didn't win (which I won't). If you have specific questions about selecting a parameter or 2, I am sure lots of people will chime in (with often conflicting answers)

Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Former Captain / MEng / that guy with all the carbon
10 races, 7 top ten's, 2 overall wins
srivathsadsv View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srivathsadsv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2012 at 11:11pm
Thank you for all your suggestions
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic