Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competitions > Non-sanctioned Events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Arizona Race In The Desert

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Rivera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2015 at 4:33pm
I think the AZOP Prescott Valley race would be a great opportunity. I did confirm with the organizer, and all repairs need to happen in the pits.
Tony Rivera

Arizona State University
Team Captain 2009-2010

Local Motors Vehicle Systems Engineer
Richie_Dagger View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richie_Dagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2015 at 9:46pm
30 mile loop will put these cars to the test. Would they be equipped to haul broken cars back to pits? 
UNLV Baja 2010-2015
Aztec Warrior View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aztec Warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2015 at 12:01am
Is it a 30 mile loop? Not much info on the website, all is says is 4 mile loop thru town.
"To finish first, you must first finish"

SDSU Baja 2010 and 2014
McMillin Racing 2005-present
Tony Rivera View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Rivera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2015 at 2:58pm
I think you misread that. It is only a 4 mile loop for the entire course (for those of you that went last year, that was a 3 mile loop. There is a 30 min practice, and a 50 minute race. 
Tony Rivera

Arizona State University
Team Captain 2009-2010

Agent_1851 View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agent_1851 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2015 at 5:21pm
UNLV should be able to make it. We might have two cars; one runs and we are working on restoring the 2014 car. If possible make it after the 1st week of November. We will be attending SEMA that week. Also, I assume the other SAE student orgs are attending SEMA too.
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Rivera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2015 at 5:46pm
Just wanted to do an update, and see who else is interested in attending. As of now, I suggest going with the AZOP Prescott Valley Gran Prix, on October 24/25. As we get more solid on the number of vehicles, I will coordinate with the event organizer.

Confirmed:
ASU Poly: 3 cars
U of A: 2-3 cars
UNLV: 1-2 cars

Tentative:
SDSU: ? cars
UTEP: ? cars
ASU Tempe: 1 car
NAU: ? cars

If you are on the tentative list, please let me know if you can make it, and if so, how many cars you are planning on bringing

Tony Rivera

Arizona State University
Team Captain 2009-2010

lamoreg View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lamoreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2015 at 8:37pm
UTEP can't make it this year.

It would be awesome, but we can't swing a trip right now.
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aztec Warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2015 at 10:57pm
I don't think we can make it this year. Love the idea of a real race, but can't justify 12 hours of driving for a 50 minute race. Besides, too close to the 1000

SDSU Baja 2010 and 2014
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richie_Dagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2015 at 3:38am
Originally posted by Aztec Warrior Aztec Warrior wrote:

I don't think we can make it this year. Love the idea of a real race, but can't justify 12 hours of driving for a 50 minute race. Besides, too close to the 1000
12 Hours, don't you mean 6? 
UNLV Baja 2010-2015
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aztec Warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2015 at 6:12pm
[/QUOTE]12 Hours, don't you mean 6? [/QUOTE]

6 each way...

SDSU Baja 2010 and 2014
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Rivera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2015 at 3:42pm
So with some effort, the updated list of vehicles is:
Confirmed: 
ASU Poly: 3 cars
U of A: 3 cars
UNLV: 1-2 cars

Tentative:
ASU Tempe: 1-2 cars
NAU: ? cars

I just spoke with the organizer, and he would be happy to have us participate, and would be willing to give us our own time slot after the UTV race ends (at about 4:45)
UofA has stated that they will only be able to attend on Sunday, as Saturday is their homecoming, and the cars are committed elsewhere, so I suggest that we have our race on Sunday.
I read through all of the rules, and the only rules that they have that are beyond the Baja SAE rules are that the racing suit must be head to toe, not just the upper garment, also including fire resistant shoes. Also, that a 5lb fire extinguisher is needed in the pits. 
Read all of the rules here:
http://azopracing.com/docs/2016_AZOP_UTV_Rules.pdf

There will be a $65 entry fee, and an additional $10 for an AZOP transponder.

Here is the flyer
Tony Rivera

Arizona State University
Team Captain 2009-2010

Dan_Sakson View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan_Sakson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2015 at 11:58pm
Hi everyone, U of A Baja here. So we were under the impression that we would not have to pay to enter the race similar to the previous years, or get additional safety equipment. Especially for a race that would most likely be an hour or so long. If there's any interest in doing something similar to what we have done in the past (camp for a weekend, race our cars, and have a good time) we would still be up for that, but unless something changes regarding the Prescott Valley event U of A will most likely no longer be attending.
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Rivera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2015 at 7:22pm
I was contacted by the event organizer, and he is looking for a solid car count. Who is in? Please let me know ASAP.
Tony Rivera

Arizona State University
Team Captain 2009-2010

Agent_1851 View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agent_1851 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2015 at 7:25pm

Unfortunately UNLV will not be attending this race. Like U of A, we were hoping for an event like last years Arizona get together. Honestly for us; the start time sucks, the car count looks like it will be low and we could spend the money used for this trip on something else.

We are looking to do something similar to last years Arizona event here in Vegas, possibly sometime in November. When we put together the details, I'll create a post in the forums.

Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richie_Dagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2015 at 12:26pm
Would you do it at Jean or Apex?
UNLV Baja 2010-2015
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Rivera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2015 at 1:51pm
I know that everyone cancelled on coming to Prescott Valley Gran Prix, but I really do think that it would be a great venue for teams to race at in the future. Its a smaller race that has a bunch of good obstacles in a relatively small space, and chances are, if we give the organizer enough notice, he is willing to add obstacle/sections that are Baja SAE specific. Here are some pictures from the race a couple of weeks ago

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.567196333419088.1073741837.545593368912718&type=3

Tony Rivera

Arizona State University
Team Captain 2009-2010

El Geffe View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El Geffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2017 at 4:15pm
Hey y'all! UA is going to run a race this November over Veterans' Day weekend, the 10-12th. We want to run it Gila Bend again, and hopefully entice some Cali teams to come join us.

So far the plan is to have an endurance race in the evening, ending just before sunset. Then have a large bonfire, grill some brats and burgers, and socialize. Teams can camp out with us or grab a hotel in Gila Bend if needed.

Let me know what you think. We'll try contacting teams this week, so send me contact info for AZ, south Cali, NM, NV, and UT teams if you have it!

Sorry if you've already contacted me at the previous email. I'm learning as I go. If you would like to contact me, please use my team's email thanks!
uabaja@gmail.com

Edited by El Geffe - Sep/21/2017 at 12:22am
desertwolf View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2017 at 8:05pm
This looks like a lot of fun. Me and the rest of the team at CSUF are all interested in going. We just you, El Geffe, an email saying that we would like to go. Are there any rules, specifically any about engine mods or swaps?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic