Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spicer FNR Gearbox

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paultra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spicer FNR Gearbox
    Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 11:54pm
I'm in the process of designing a new custom gearbox for the off-road Illini's new car (similar to Purdue, Michigan Tech, etc.) when I came across this gearbox from Dana-Spicer.  It's called the H-12 FNR.  Has anyone had any experience with this gearbox?  The ratios look about right and we're changing a lot of things on our car this year so it would be nice to not have the monumental task of designing a whole custom gearbox.

Offroad Illini

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

I-L-L

I-N-I
Richie_Dagger View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richie_Dagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 2:40pm
Nebraska ran this unit at Oregon last year. Look up Baja SAE Oregon on facebook and click on "photos" and they're team #11. Pictures don't show too much, but I've been considering this case for our car as well. Only real issue I can see besides finding one is the splined outputs, you'd probably have to have custom flanges made to bolt up CV's or whatever you plan on using.
Paultra View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paultra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 3:09pm
Thanks for the input. I'll be looking into then. Any Nebraska guys have anything to add to this? I know they did pretty well at Oregon.
Offroad Illini

I-L-L

I-N-I
Reb View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 7:46pm
We have been interested in using the H-12 as well at Southern IL. Haven't had much luck finding information online besides a pdf brochure with some specs. Anyone have a estimated price range for it?
schooter View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 11:02pm
Has anyone looked into simply taking the CVT and gearbox from a Polaris Phoenix or one of their 330cc ATV's? It's probably similar power capacity. Could be a good option for teams not ready to take on a custom gearbox.
Chase Schuette
https://www.linkedin.com/in/chaseschuette/
brewski View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brewski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2012 at 8:16pm
The H-12 is a great gearbox. We (Central Michigan University) used it at all three events in the 2011 2012 season without any problem. We were car 33 in Alabama and Oregon and car 73 in Wisconsin. There are half shafts out there that are used with the H-12 you just have to do some searching.
Bettner12 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bettner12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2012 at 9:28pm
this is what the internal gears look like after a REM ISF treatment 

how we has to end up mounting it due to some space constraints 

Penn College of Technology Alumni

Maryland 2018 Organizer

Paultra View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paultra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2012 at 12:58pm
Wow, who knew a golf cart transmission would work so well?  Haha.

What kind of ratios did you use?  The options are 10.15:1, 12.58:1, and 13.25:1.  We were thinking of the middle one.  Also, there's a heavy duty version.  Is that worth while or even necessary?
Offroad Illini

I-L-L

I-N-I
ayushsood09 View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ayushsood09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2012 at 4:14pm
We used Dana h-12 for the 2012 season with the ratio 12.58:1. It works great with the only downside being its weight i.e. 35 pounds. 
brewski View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brewski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2012 at 5:54pm
We used the 13.25:1 in the 2012 season we have the 10.15:1 just ran out of time to swap the gear ratios and compare the two.
Ryan Brew
Central Michigan University
Team Captain
Brauup View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brauup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2012 at 12:13am
Hey guys just chiming in for Nebraska. We have ran that transmission for four years now with minor modifications. We absolutely loved it, but we are attempting to build our own for the first time. The biggest downside is the weight, but it is pretty much bullet proof. They can be found in the Gravely Treker (30 HP) and the driveshafts are very small and light. We also have a step file of the geometry. I can post it in the downloads if anyone is interested.  
Paultra View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paultra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2012 at 7:02pm
Yes please!  That would save us some serious hassle waiting for the gearbox to arrive to model it ourselves.  Thanks much :)
Offroad Illini

I-L-L

I-N-I
Brauup View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brauup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2012 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by Paultra Paultra wrote:

Yes please!  That would save us some serious hassle waiting for the gearbox to arrive to model it ourselves.  Thanks much :)

Posted in File Depot. Let me know if it doesn't work.
Paultra View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paultra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2012 at 9:16pm
Awesome!  Works well, thanks a ton.
Offroad Illini

I-L-L

I-N-I
Priyank View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master
I don't search

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Priyank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2012 at 11:32pm
Could anyone tell me what the price is ??
The cheapest i could fine was Jeffco racing :(
Paultra View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paultra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2012 at 3:26pm
For those of you who have one of these gearboxes, where did you get it?  We had a contact at Dana-Spicer but after one brief conversation where he said he would just send us one we got radio silence.  Called him back several times and left a stream of emails, but got no response.  Anywhere wear we can just buy it?
Offroad Illini

I-L-L

I-N-I
Niks5000 View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niks5000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2012 at 9:53am
Can you please send it to me? or tell me how to access it through the downloads. 
Paultra View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paultra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2012 at 12:28pm
In the forum home go to "file depot".  It's one of the first downloads.
Offroad Illini

I-L-L

I-N-I
Lostsheep View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lostsheep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2012 at 4:12pm
Does anyone know of a source for these units other than the Gravely trekker?

Apparently Spicer sold that division to Schaeffer Gear. I have contacted them but getting a hold of anyone who can provide specific information on purchasing and availability is a bit difficult.

Cheers
Paultra View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paultra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2012 at 12:35am
My contact at Schaeffer Gear was Howard Reaser: howard.reaser@schaferinc.com

He sent us one for free.  Good luck
Offroad Illini

I-L-L

I-N-I
Lostsheep View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lostsheep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2012 at 12:23pm
So I finally got in touch with a rep at Schafer gear, and he has agreed to send us one. While I am waiting for it, would someone who has one or otherwise knows:

What is the spline count and diameter of the output shafts? I have the CAD file here and they are drawn at 1.0" OD sans splines.

A little help here?

Cheers.
Paultra View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paultra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2012 at 1:19pm
I'll take a look when I get back from Christmas break and let you know the spline count and diameter.  We need to do the same as well, need some female splines to attach our CV shafts to.
Offroad Illini

I-L-L

I-N-I
Augustine 17 View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Augustine 17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2013 at 1:58pm
hey hi.. my team is doing African Baja for the first time.. we are planning to go for CVT instead of gearbox.. can you help us out? I want to know which CVT is the best.. and I'm also interested in its variable ratios..
PrestonGable View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrestonGable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2013 at 6:10pm
Welcome to the forum and good luck. There is a wealth of information here if you use the search button most of the answers can be found...
Iowa State Tech 2011-2012
Manlone View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manlone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2013 at 1:56pm
can anyone tell me DIMENSIONS of the Dana H12 transaxle?
Lostsheep View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lostsheep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2013 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by Manlone Manlone wrote:

can anyone tell me DIMENSIONS of the Dana H12 transaxle?

There is a CAD file in the file depot.
ballast View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ballast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2013 at 1:36pm
anyone who has used H12 with a CVT, please tell me if the shifting from Forward to Reverse was hassle free or if you had some problem with shifting due to CVT....maybe some residual torque while CVT is idling.....Also please post some photos of the H12 showing mounting points....

jacking with the screw
Lostsheep View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lostsheep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2013 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by ballast ballast wrote:

anyone who has used H12 with a CVT, please tell me if the shifting from Forward to Reverse was hassle free or if you had some problem with shifting due to CVT....maybe some residual torque while CVT is idling.....Also please post some photos of the H12 showing mounting points....

Originally posted by lostsheep lostsheep wrote:

there is a cad file in the file depot

No offense but one one post above you? I don't really feel like giving away our design; you need to solve the problem for yourself. The CAD file combined with pictures should be more than adequate.

ballast View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ballast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2013 at 12:30am
i m not asking you to reveal your design...all i m asking is to post some photos of the transaxle alone showing the points on the transaxle where it can be mounted(bolted) to the frame. just the pics of an oem component...
jacking with the screw
Wolverine View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolverine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2013 at 7:47am
DANA SPICER H12 F-N-R
Anyone knows its price in Indian rupees (incl. custom n all)?
Also where to order from?
Cyclops Strikes Again
ballast View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ballast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2013 at 8:14am
you can get it from Quality Drive System. University offer price is $985. Do the conversion. I have no idea about import duty.
jacking with the screw
Wolverine View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolverine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2013 at 4:09am
Thanks for the help.I sent a mail to QDS, haven't got reply yet. We are an Indian team going to participate in the SAE BAJA INDIA 2014. Are you sure if they provide the offer price to the universities out of US participating in the BAJA event of some other country? and also can you list the stores or companies which provide sponsored price to the universities outside US. Other INDIAN teams....share your experiences too.
Cyclops Strikes Again
ARS View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2013 at 9:21am
Can anyone guide which is the lightest and compact FNR gearbox compared to rpm Gearboxes? What is the weight of Spicer h12 Fnr.
ARS

STALWARTZ Racing
CAPTAIN 2013-2014
Soccerdan7 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2013 at 11:46am
Originally posted by ARS ARS wrote:

Can anyone guide which is the lightest and compact FNR gearbox compared to rpm Gearboxes? What is the weight of Spicer h12 Fnr.

I can guarantee the lightest and most compact FNR box is the one you design, optimize and make yourself...
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Former Captain / MEng / that guy with all the carbon
10 races, 7 top ten's, 2 overall wins
Wolverine View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolverine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2013 at 3:05pm
DANA SPICER H12 gearbox has "manual operation to lock/unlock the differentiall".....what does that mean? How can it be locked whenever required?
Cyclops Strikes Again
joey.m.gonzalez View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey.m.gonzalez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2013 at 5:18pm
Where did you read that? As far as I was concerned, the H12 has a gear driven limited slip, with no manual locking/un-locking.  At least ours were were able to spin one axle independent from the other (although it was very agressive).  Pretty much acts like a spool unless we were hard on the cutting brake.

Joey
Wolverine View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolverine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2013 at 6:10pm
Cyclops Strikes Again
Saket View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2013 at 3:25pm
Hey Ayush did u use the independent suspensions H-12 fnr if yes then can u plz tell me which axles did u use in H-12 fnr?

Machine Head
Saket View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2013 at 3:29pm
Guys tell me the axle model name plz that fits in H-12 fnr (independent suspensions)
Machine Head
joey.m.gonzalez View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote joey.m.gonzalez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2013 at 5:13pm
Ours were custom...
piyushlife View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piyushlife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2013 at 3:41pm
Anyone plz help...we decided to use H-12 FNR transaxle....what's its cost and from where we can order it??? Is it available in India???
RLM View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2013 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Paultra Paultra wrote:

My contact at Schaeffer Gear was Howard Reaser: howard.reaser@schaferinc.com

He sent us one for free.  Good luck

Try reading through the post before asking some questions.
McMaster Baja Racing (09-Dec 2015)
Team Captain 2012-2015
Suspension Lead 2015-2016
All spoonfeed PM requests will be billed at $10 USD per reply, payable via paypal.
vetteaholic24 View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vetteaholic24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2013 at 2:13pm
Can anyone describe the oiling system on the H-12 im messing around with mounting configurations before ours arrives in a few weeks I need to know what are the angles of ideal operation would be approximately

thanks

Colin Butler
Captain
VWCC Motorsports
Richie_Dagger View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richie_Dagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2013 at 2:32pm
All you have to do is ensure that the oil level is at least high enough to bathe some teeth on a gear. From there it will sling enough oil around to keep the trans oiled. You can trust me on this, I took advice from our shop manager who's built simple reduction boxes like in a baja for boats and Chevy powered generators. He found just enough oil to be tangent to a gear was enough and the gear would sling oil around to lube all other gear meshes. Over filling boxes led to burnt up boxes.
vetteaholic24 View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vetteaholic24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2013 at 11:02am
thank you for the advice this should help more then just me im sure
Colin Butler
Captain
VWCC Motorsports
monsterzpc View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsterzpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2013 at 10:36pm
Where did u buy it?How much did it cost?
Go!
Malay Nasit View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malay Nasit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2014 at 12:12pm
Can anyone assure about no leakage problems faced when sealed hole is drilled for using it as a drain hole. If drillable, upto what depth is it possible to safe drill ?

uploads/2294/Drain_hole.png
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malay Nasit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2014 at 12:14pm
uploads/2294/Drain_hole.png
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malay Nasit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2014 at 12:28pm
uploads/2294/Drain_hole.pdf - uploads/2294/Drain_hole.pdf
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malay Nasit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2014 at 12:34pm
Problems uploading photos or files. Can anyone explain possible reasons why?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic