Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ENGINE AND GEAR BOX COUPLING

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aivymathew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ENGINE AND GEAR BOX COUPLING
    Posted: Jul/03/2012 at 10:13am
please give me some idea about "how to connect the engine and gear box "

googling gave me two kinds of pictures 

2. shaft with key 

Q. what are the possible ways of connecting them
     is mahindra alfa gear box (as mentiond by last years team members) directly coupleable ?
     are the studs matching ?

Edited by aivymathew - Jul/06/2012 at 1:56am
Nidhi Joshi View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nidhi Joshi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2012 at 9:16am
Doesn't the mahindra alfa have straight splines?

How can the picture make the engine crankshaft diractly couple with the Alfa then?
Nidhi Joshi
Budding Mechanical Engineer

aivymathew View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aivymathew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2012 at 9:57am
can we change it ??
coz one picture shows a shaft with key..... 
is it possible ?
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nidhi Joshi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2012 at 10:04am
Yes, you could change it, but instead you could just machine the engine crankshaft.

Otherwise you'll have to machine both.
Nidhi Joshi

jeiB View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2012 at 10:30am
Don't you guys have an engine available sitting around? Did you order them? It would be much easier than speculating...I am sure you can couple it to your gearbox without machining the engine input shaft.
Jeremie B.
McGill Baja Racing
2009-2011 Captain
minibaja.mcgill.ca
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nidhi Joshi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2012 at 11:06am
Yes, I have the engine in front of me. 

The crankshaft for the model we have been provided has a dia of 25.4mm and a keyway.

The Mahindra Alfa gearbox in question has the multiplate clutch with the crankshaft input splined with a max. dia of 20mm.

Nidhi Joshi

zglazer View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zglazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2012 at 10:27pm
If you want to avoid machining the engine output shaft (which is what I would do), then the straightforward solution would be to design an adapter to go between the engine and the gearbox. Shouldn't be too hard.
Zack Glazer
McGill Baja Racing Alumnus 2009-2013 http://baja.mcgilleus.ca/
2012-2013 Drivetrain Designer
alampally siddharth View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alampally siddharth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2013 at 8:58am
im facing the same problem.please reply with the best possible solution.
briggs and stratton engine has a output with key hole and mahindra alfa gear box clutch has a gear with inner splines of smaller diameter.
if we make a adapter/sleeve ,the length changes and we cannot fix the transmission to the engine with the bolts.
if i am not clear ,please contact me through my mail id siddharthalampally@gmail.com
please reply
garudPR View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garudPR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2013 at 9:42am
design coupler or adaptor which will match pcd of engine on one side and pcd of gearbox on the other ...
Many teams from India use coupler .Also you can contact teams nearby your college because last year BAJA SAE INDIA provided coupler for mahindra alpha champion
Himeel View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Himeel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2013 at 11:44pm
Is it ok to do machining on engine output shaft?
I found the following thing in rulebook...
"The adapter for Engine & Transmission is to be designed and installed by students as per the type
of transmission used. Engine drive / output shaft side details are available on BAJA SAEINDIA
official website."
zglazer View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zglazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2013 at 5:29am
I don't think you're allowed to modify the engine shaft.
Zack Glazer
McGill Baja Racing Alumnus 2009-2013 http://baja.mcgilleus.ca/
2012-2013 Drivetrain Designer
cyrilsoji View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyrilsoji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2014 at 1:01pm
can any one please tell whether this adapter is effective or not..??i dont think machining is such an easy thing,and engine and gearbox cannot be bolted together.!!!

If any 1 has a picture of the same please post.!!
cyrilsoji View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyrilsoji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2014 at 1:19pm
uploads/2329/IMG-20140607-WA0023.jpg

picture of an alfa clutch with internal splines someone may find it helpful.!!
abhinandanraut View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abhinandanraut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2014 at 8:41am
what should be the dimensions for adaptor for baja engine .....for connecting alfa mahindra gear box

RLM View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RLM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2014 at 11:22am
Design it
McMaster Baja Racing (09-Dec 2015)
Team Captain 2012-2015
Suspension Lead 2015-2016
All spoonfeed PM requests will be billed at $10 USD per reply, payable via paypal.
Alcatraz View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alcatraz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2014 at 3:07pm
Try to measure the internal splines for ALFA gear box.
If not possible, go have a look at ALFA vehicle in person (it's engine specifically & try to get what you need).
Nate View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2014 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by zglazer zglazer wrote:

I don't think you're allowed to modify the engine shaft.
+1 on this. 

You had better submit a rules question on this. I'm sure they won't have a problem with a removable adapter. You also have to remove your gearbox for the engine tune, at least in the states.
Pedro UFPBaja View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro UFPBaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2014 at 4:13pm
Modify the clutch.
Former Team Captain
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic