Forum Home Forum Home > Competitions > SAE Sanctioned Competitions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Baja SAE Alabama 2009 Picture/Video Thread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Organizer
Organizer
Last one standing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeremyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Baja SAE Alabama 2009 Picture/Video Thread
    Posted: Apr/21/2009 at 1:25pm
If you've got pictures or videos of the event, throw them up or link them up here!
Rob71zilla View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob71zilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2009 at 1:38pm
Here's a link to our car running the suspension event.  We were try to baby it through so we at least got a time in.  I will post pics later of why we were not 100%

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLVWC4sexxw 
Robbie
Former Team Captain
SUNY Institute of Technology
Current Engineer for Remington Arms

A Redline a day keeps the carbon away.
johnpate01 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnpate01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2009 at 3:46pm
Here is the UTK website.  I am putting more pictures up as the other team members get them to me. 

EDIT:  New Website

http://apcsi.tennessee.edu/sae/2009Auburn.html

Edited by johnpate01 - Aug/23/2009 at 5:48pm
-John

Co-Captain, Team Tennessee 2008-2010
Matt Zorn View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Zorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2009 at 4:51pm

adrive7 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2009 at 6:33pm
-Joe
Chief Organizer, Baja California 2016, 2017, 2019
Ohio State Baja 2005-2009
Co-Host, Science... Sort Of
http://www.sciencesortof.com
karman1970 View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karman1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2009 at 6:47pm
Wes
Missouri S&T
Baja SAE
Alum
dillon_b12 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2009 at 7:56pm
Wes,
Glad you guys liked our rearend.

Didn't you all break a spindle?  I watched a car break one where I was working carnage and I'm pretty sure it was you guys.  If it was you, good job on getting the car back together.
Redhawk_Racing View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redhawk_Racing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2009 at 9:37pm
Here's the video of me flipping our car on the suspension event:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=91506800228&ref=nf

Edited by Redhawk_Racing - Apr/21/2009 at 11:08pm
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redhawk_Racing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2009 at 10:48pm
more:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2017560&id=29202507
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2017562&id=29202507
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2017564&id=29202507
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karman1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2009 at 12:02am
Originally posted by dillon_b12 dillon_b12 wrote:

Wes,Glad you guys liked our rearend.Didn't you all break a spindle?  I watched a car break one where I was working carnage and I'm pretty sure it was you guys.  If it was you, good job on getting the car back together.

No on the spindle(I guess that's good). But we lost the idler sprocket and snapped the chain on the primary about 2 hours in. Cost us about 45 minutes because we were almost to the start/finish when it happened. Had to run almost another full lap to get that one to count. We were up to 21st from 64th before that happened. Dropped to 37th and came back to 31st. Clutch was slipping by the end too. I hear they're already started on the transaxle for next year...
Wes
Missouri S&T
Baja SAE
Alum
Adam_BU View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam_BU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2009 at 12:36am
I have a great video of TTU roasting a heim joint on their new car (#5) in the suspension rock bed. I'll have to put it up somewhere.
adrive7 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2009 at 12:39am
Redhawk_Racing: Nice catch with the Hilux. Wish I had ventured to the upper pits and seen that. 
-Joe
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redhawk_Racing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2009 at 9:06am
Thanks adrive7!  My team didn't understand why I was so excited to see that truck at the competition.  I guess no one else is a Toyota fan Ermm
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob71zilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2009 at 9:38am
Here's what our aluminum sprocket and hub looked like after we lost round 1 with the culvert...

Robbie
Former Team Captain

CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2009 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Adam_BU Adam_BU wrote:

I have a great video of TTU roasting a heim joint on their new car (#5) in the suspension rock bed. I'll have to put it up somewhere.
I wish it was just a heim joint, it was the custom upright exploding.  One of my babys that I had about 10 hours of machine time into each.
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

"Quick with the hammer, slow with the brain."
kruegdr View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Train Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruegdr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2009 at 1:50pm
OOh .... great carnage and pics!
adrive7 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2009 at 1:56pm
Chris, Any photos of said exploded upright?
-Joe
CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2009 at 2:31pm
Ask and you shall recieve.  It broke out around the ball joint at the bottom.  We'll have to run the backup steel Banshee parts for Oregon, but expect rev 2.0 on those uprights for Wisconsin.

-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

gregers05 View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregers05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2009 at 11:14pm
one of the michigan teams after drilling the big rock on the right on the endurance rock garden

adrive7 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2009 at 11:34pm
Here are some pictures of the broken gear (and it's replacement) that took us out of the race before it even started. I fixed it today in about 2 hours, I just didnt have what I needed in Auburn. Cry

It broke right at the keyway (Holy stress concentration, Batman!), and then proceeded to break into 4 pieces. I think part of the breakage was from being dragged out by the ATV. There are some nice gouges in the other gears too.

On the original gear, I machined off the hub, so this time I am leaving the hub on for more material. Hopefully this works. I'm planning on driving the piss out of it this weekend and then taking another look at it if it survives. Its my quick-and-dirty-but-might-work solution. Other ideas include decreasing the bore size and using a sleeve to keep the same bearing, or possibly going to a splined setup (ideal, but not easy), or a bunch of other ideas.

Edited by adrive7 - Apr/22/2009 at 11:38pm
-Joe
ian.azeredo View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian.azeredo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2009 at 11:40pm
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/view?q=mini%20baja%202009%20alabama&psc=G&filter=0#

enjoy: mostly our car/team but footage of ttu midair collision
-Ian
Villanova Wildcat Racing
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karman1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2009 at 7:42am
Joe,
Where did you get the gear from?
Wes
Missouri S&T
Baja SAE
Alum
kruegdr View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Train Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruegdr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2009 at 9:11am
SPLINES!!!

"Where all them baja cars at??"
adrive7 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2009 at 9:40am
The Gear is from Martin Gear. 20 Tooth 16 Pitch. 3/4" Bore with a 3/16" Keyway. I can get any bore/key I want, but I doubt they will run splines for me. The external splines probably wouldn't be too hard to have my sponsor do, but internal splines they have to pay another guy to do.

Another option which requires finding some super bearings is cutting the gear teeth straight onto the shaft, so it's all one part. Which would be super awesome. But the way the box is setup now, it wouldn't work. I either have to find some goofy bearings/seals, or remake the casing.
-Joe
CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2009 at 10:05am
Ian do you have a direct link to that video of me getting rear ended, I could't find it.
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

adrive7 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2009 at 10:09am
-Joe
BWa1k_Bucknell View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BWa1k_Bucknell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2009 at 11:41am
Here's a link to all the pics I took: http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b318/46fordpanther/Baja%20SAE%202009/

It's mostly our car from tech and Saturday's events, but there are a few other pics thrown in, including the preproduction BMW X5 M I spotted in the parking lot.

We took some more pics, I'll probably be updating that album with more pics soon.

Edited by BWa1k_Bucknell - Apr/23/2009 at 11:49am
Boom! Roasted
CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2009 at 1:22pm

Thanks man, also if anybody has pictures of me endo'ing the car before the short line I'd love to see them.  I've got some shots of just afterward, but none of the event itself.

-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2009 at 1:29pm
We noticed that BMW too.  Wonder who was driving it?
kruegdr View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Train Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruegdr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2009 at 1:41pm
One of the volunteers we had is a big-up at BMW in SC.
"Where all them baja cars at??"
BWa1k_Bucknell View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BWa1k_Bucknell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2009 at 2:19pm
X5 production is at the Spartanburg plant, they must be gearing up for //M production soon. I'm sure whoever was driving it was aware it would get attention at an event like Baja.

Let's see some more pics!
Boom! Roasted
infocustrasti View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocustrasti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2009 at 12:42am
Hey guys just updated the youtube account with a couple of vids! check them out. here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/user/UDBAJASAE 
kenneth.mandeville View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth.mandeville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2009 at 11:00am
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=523966659825&ref=nf

Not sure if that video works if your not on facebook, eventually there will be one on youtube.
delandor View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delandor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2009 at 11:50am
Originally posted by kenneth.mandeville kenneth.mandeville wrote:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=523966659825&ref=nf

Not sure if that video works if your not on facebook, eventually there will be one on youtube.

Worked for me. Nice vid! Looks like you guys had a great time!
Rick
New Mexico Tech Baja
adrive7 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2009 at 12:07pm
There is a way to embed fb videos. I got it to work a while ago, but you basically have to trick the flash video embedder into working with fb.

Sweet video. You got some nice footage.
-Joe
kenneth.mandeville View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth.mandeville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2009 at 1:08pm
Figured out how to get the embeded video.

wcodyh View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wcodyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 6:15pm
http://www.suzyjamesphotography.com/Sports

she has about 1700 pictures total from the event they tried to get pictures of every car there are some really up close face shots of drivers in the endurance race
David D View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2009 at 11:26pm
Hey guys I thought I would post up the pics I took.  I am from Clemson, and told many of you guys that I would get these pics up on the web.  If any of you know of other sites please feel free to post a link there as well.  I have pics of many of your cars, and would like to get them out to everyone possible. 
http://s642.photobucket.com/albums/uu148/ClemsonBajaSae/Baja%20Sae%20Alabama%202009/

Edited by David D - May/18/2009 at 8:26pm
Tmartynetz View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tmartynetz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2009 at 10:40am
Hey I don't have pictures of you endo'ing but I have a video... here it is:

OctoberSky View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OctoberSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2009 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by dillon_b12 dillon_b12 wrote:

Wes,
Glad you guys liked our rearend.

-Is that a dual sprocket reduction or a gearbox...can't tell
UCLA Racing
2010-2012 Captain

"we'll never win mini baja" -Cheddar
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2009 at 1:16am
It's a chain reduction box.
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OctoberSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2009 at 2:07am
oh nice...that definitely is one of the best looking rears I've seen
UCLA Racing
2010-2012 Captain

rjwoods77 View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjwoods77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2009 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by Rob71zilla Rob71zilla wrote:

Here's a link to our car running the suspension event.  We were try to baby it through so we at least got a time in.  I will post pics later of why we were not 100%

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLVWC4sexxw 

Was that clutch slap noise in the beginning of the event?
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob71zilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2009 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by OctoberSky OctoberSky wrote:

oh nice...that definitely is one of the best looking rears I've seen

You stole my pick up line...
Robbie
Former Team Captain

Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OctoberSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2009 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by Rob71zilla Rob71zilla wrote:

You stole my pick up line...

yeah sorry...let's not get started down that road...between nuts, rods, dykes, lube, and mating bodies there are just too many possibilities ...  Wink
UCLA Racing
2010-2012 Captain

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic