Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competitions > Non-sanctioned Events
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Epreuve du Nord V: Universite Laval Winter Baja
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Epreuve du Nord V: Universite Laval Winter Baja

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Epreuve du Nord V: Universite Laval Winter Baja
    Posted: Dec/02/2009 at 8:57pm

For the 5th year, Universite Laval in Quebec City (Canada) will be hosting l’Epreuve du Nord, a winter Baja competition. The event will be on February 12th and 13th, 2010, and is held during the biggest winter carnival of the world in the heart of the oldest city in North America. For more information please visit our website: www.gmc.ulaval.ca/epreuvedunord or feel free to email me.

I hope to see you there!

Jean-Michel Nadeau

Vice-president

Epreuve du Nord V

jean-michel.nadeau.2@ulaval.ca

Edited by J-M - Dec/02/2009 at 9:00pm
Université Laval
Carolina #31
Western Washington #95
Rochester #94
charles ulaval View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charles ulaval Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2009 at 8:13am
The race is pretty cool. It's also an other chance to beat Sherbrooke and ETS on the track! We always had teams from the province of Quebec only but if any team is interested (Ontario or NorthEastern States(NY, NH,VT...)), it would be awesome to increase the amount of cars in the race! you can watch many videos of the past 4 years on youtube. here are 2 links of the 2008 and 2009 editions:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGiyp6ElEF8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A__3tyF3o4
BenPoulin View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenPoulin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2010 at 4:00pm
Looks like I'll have to prep my old tub... ;P

Do you plan on using the same track style? Use the runways and wood obstacle or try to do a complete snow track?
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charles ulaval Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2010 at 6:54pm
It's gonna be like last year with more "snow features".

Salut Ben en passant!
J-M View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2010 at 7:26pm
And more wood features
Université Laval
Carolina #31
Western Washington #95
Rochester #94
neilan View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2010 at 8:36pm
Im interested in the race. Can anyone enter? Do the standard baja sae rules apply? tech inspection? I checked out the website but its in french and I cant really understand much...
OSU lead fabricator? or something like that

-Bo
jeiB View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2010 at 9:10pm
anyone can come with a car that has an SAE sticker from 2007 onwards (limited to 2 cars per universities, i think). Tech inspection is minimal. Engine specs are checked thought.

are u from Oregon state? because the race in near Montreal, Canada...

Anyway, im sure someone organizing the event will answer all ur questions in detail later
Jeremie B.
McGill Baja Racing
2009-2011 Captain
minibaja.mcgill.ca
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charles ulaval Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2010 at 5:05pm
- you would be more than welcome to the race if your car meets at least the 2007 (frame) and minimal tech (brake light, working brake, 3800 rpm, a minimum of safety...). we won't look for hidden sharp edge, we just want every car to be safe.
-Corvalis is more than 3000 miles away from Quebec City
-the race is divided on 2 days. day 1 = 4 laps time trial for the starting grid of the 2h endurance race of day 2
-you can bring 2 cars

Edited by charles ulaval - Jan/25/2010 at 5:06pm
jeiB View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2010 at 1:18am
Packed the car, the tools, and the trailer came to pick up the car. Tmrw, waking at 5am to go to Quebec city for the race. It shouldnt be too cold unlike the previous years. Good luck to everyone. I cant wait for this one  Smile
Jeremie B.
McGill Baja Racing
2009-2011 Captain
minibaja.mcgill.ca
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charles ulaval Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2010 at 10:35pm
10 teams, 16 cars, 2h endurance

sherbrooke 2009, laval 2009, polytechnique 2009

snow track with wood jumps

Edited by charles ulaval - Feb/14/2010 at 10:38pm
tp View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2010 at 12:25am
Was is sponsored by Red Bull? Because maybe someone should talk them in to one of the big races... Smile
-Tom

Oregon State BajaSAE Team Captain
adrive7 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2010 at 1:04am
Originally posted by tp tp wrote:

Was is sponsored by Red Bull? Because maybe someone should talk them in to one of the big races... Smile

That used to be the case. Red Bull girls would wander around passing out free Red Bull like candy. It's pretty much how we got through Auburn 2006.
-Joe
Chief Organizer, Baja California 2016, 2017, 2019
Ohio State Baja 2005-2009
Co-Host, Science... Sort Of
http://www.sciencesortof.com
jeiB View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2010 at 8:08pm
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcgill-clubs/sets/72157623305457085/
updated flickr account with some of our pictures.
Jeremie B.
McGill Baja Racing
2009-2011 Captain
minibaja.mcgill.ca
bobinete180 View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobinete180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2010 at 8:26pm
jeib, what's the ranking of everybody? I didn't find any results yet.

I was suppose to be there with my baja ( Polytechnique 07) like Ben Poulin but I think it was limited to 2 cars per university so I decided to resign lol

Was the track cool to drive? I saw on your pics some pavement, must has been a challenge from snow to asphalt... 
jeiB View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2010 at 8:33pm
there was less snow than last year but it was -3 during the endurance, much better than last year's -15. There was enough snow and ice and asphalt only in the straights. The track was very very good, with much more turns and big airs, much more entertairning than last year.

Resuts
- laval 07 (i think)
- sherbrooke 09
- poly 09

there were 16 cars in total, we finished 8th and ETS wasnt here.
Jeremie B.
McGill Baja Racing
2009-2011 Captain
minibaja.mcgill.ca
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charles ulaval Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2010 at 8:35pm
Laval 08 1st
UQTR 09 4th
Laval 09 5th
bobinete180 View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobinete180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2010 at 8:39pm
Wow ETS don't showing up, I hope they won't do like 3 years ago when they took 2 years to build 1 car... And I'm sure that it was way more fun than the usual -15 -20 degrees, I only did qualifications runs 2 years ago and the 15 minutes spent in the baja was  freezing enough 

And I suppose that you repaired your kinda skinny trailing arm bracket that was ripped apart in oregon lol

And thanks Charles for some results!

Edited by bobinete180 - Feb/15/2010 at 8:40pm
jeiB View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2010 at 8:47pm
lol, you probably saw the pictures right? yea, now its twice the thickness and thats not going anywhere, anyway i sheared an upright bolt of one of the jumps and that was it :(

Edited by jeiB - Feb/15/2010 at 8:50pm
Jeremie B.
McGill Baja Racing
2009-2011 Captain
minibaja.mcgill.ca
FredC View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2010 at 9:08pm
Nice race, I wish we could be there... (ETS). But we took the week-end to make some parts for our 2010 baja.

Fred
j-man View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2010 at 10:04am
...and make sure our cost report will still be top.

We had a redbull party on friday night : free reddog shots for everyone who were still working overnight.

And our girlfriends did not killed us again this year for missing the 14th. Which is good for the man power level of our team.

Edited by j-man - Feb/17/2010 at 10:12am
Jean-Martin
Used to be Design leader and CNC abuser
ETS Baja SAE 07-10
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic