Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Inclination

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Paboaglez View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paboaglez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Inclination
    Posted: Feb/25/2014 at 5:04pm
Hello,

I am new in this forum, but I have been particpating in SAE 3.5 years ago. (used to be captain of a mexican team). My team is entering to new baja project for 2015 and we are playing with the inclination of the engine to gain space and reduce the large of the rear frame.

Question; how much and in what direction can the engine can be inclined without altering engine functions? (I saw in Briggs website that 15 degrees, but something about 30), does anyone have tested information about it.

Thank you for your time.
pritish View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pritish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2016 at 5:23am
hi! did you try inclined engine?
AG_ View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AG_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2016 at 8:08pm
If briggs says 15 I'd play it safe, but no clue on how much actually is possible. 
mechaschmeck View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechaschmeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2016 at 1:02am
15 is probably alright, but keep the hill climb in mind. There is a low oil shutoff feature on the new engines, so it may cause some issues.
"Drive fast, take chances!"
RLM View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2016 at 11:39am
Anyone know where the sensor would be positioned for the low oil shutoff feature? front of oil pan, mid, rear? 
McMaster Baja Racing (09-Dec 2015)
Team Captain 2012-2015
Suspension Lead 2015-2016
All spoonfeed PM requests will be billed at $10 USD per reply, payable via paypal.
Nate View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2016 at 5:13pm
If it's like a Honda, it would be on the front side of the engine (opposite the cylinder). If you're looking at the side of the engine with the crankshaft pointing toward you, it would be on the left.
Iowa State University Cyclone Racing 2013 - 2016
Tech Director, DAQ, Media, Manufacturing, Radios
2016 - S&T, Maneuv, & Endurance Driver
"Because BAJA" "Because RACECAR"
Bettner12 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bettner12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2016 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by RLM RLM wrote:

Anyone know where the sensor would be positioned for the low oil shutoff feature? front of oil pan, mid, rear? 

Talked to David Klaus Director of Briggs Racing at the Performance Racing Trade show in Indianapolis today and one of the things we talked about was the oil switch. He is almost 100% positive that the engines will not have them, and if they do, they will have to be disabled as they will turn off the engine during normal use in our application :) I will send an email to SAE to confirm that they aren't expecting us to run offroad in  splash lubricated engine with an oil level switch...
Penn College of Technology Alumni

Maryland 2018 Organizer

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic