Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Electrical Routing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brauup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electrical Routing
    Posted: Jan/04/2012 at 1:46pm
Hey guys I was wondering if any of you route your wires through the frame. Specifically, the main roll hoops. I'm thinking they probably won't like that maybe to the holes, but we drill holes for pop rivets in the roll hoop for the firewall. It would only be two wires for about a foot. It's not necessary but would look really clean. Thanks,
collinskl1 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2012 at 2:02pm
I haven't seen it done that way.  You will certainly need to have grommets around the wires where they pass through the steel. 

While I understand the desire to have it look as clean as possible, I was always content with just cramming them in the crack where the firewall meets the RRH tube and hiding them that way. 

You could also just get some wire loom or tape that is the color of your paint...
Kyle Collins
Lipscomb University Alumni
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive
Product Engineer, Electronic Power Steering

... and the 8th simple machine: a bigger hammer.
Brauup View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brauup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2012 at 2:08pm
I'm familiar with all the options. It's not hard to do and yes grommets would be required. There is no cracks to put the wires so it would look cheesy to use tape or painting them. I just didn't know if the tech inspectors would allow it.

Edited by Brauup - Jan/04/2012 at 2:14pm
dillon_b12 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2012 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by Brauup Brauup wrote:

I'm familiar with all the options. It's not hard to do and yes grommets would be required. There is no cracks to put the wires so it would look cheesy to use tape or painting them. I just didn't know if the tech inspectors would allow it.

The only way to be sure it will fly is to shoot an e-mail to the tech inspectors.
jeiB View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2012 at 3:19pm
They do allow it (in the past). Sherbrooke (among others Im sure) has been doing it. I cannot find the picture that I saw a while ago though.
Jeremie B.
McGill Baja Racing
2009-2011 Captain
minibaja.mcgill.ca
Red_Beard View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red_Beard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2012 at 8:04am
We always run the wires through the roll hoop / cage.
SDSM&T 09-10 Team Lead
2nd & 9th Baja West

Project Engineer
Matrix Service - Bellingham, WA
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2012 at 9:06am
What about throttle cables?  Has anyone ever done that through the SIM or Floor tubes?  I always hated having that one just hanging out in the cockpit.
Kyle Collins
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive

p.lewis View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2012 at 1:21pm
Definitely possible. Then maybe you don't need a cable housing for the length of cable inside your tubes, but that's not really that big of a deal. I wonder if anybody routes cables in the tube on bicycle frames...
University of Rochester Alum
jeiB View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2012 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by p.lewis p.lewis wrote:

Definitely possible. Then maybe you don't need a cable housing for the length of cable inside your tubes, but that's not really that big of a deal. I wonder if anybody routes cables in the tube on bicycle frames...

Yes they definitely do!

Jeremie B.
McGill Baja Racing
2009-2011 Captain
minibaja.mcgill.ca
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2012 at 3:38pm
Yeah bike frames have been done for a while
Kyle Collins
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive

p.lewis View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2012 at 1:02pm

Although it looks clean to route the cables inside the fram of the bike, I don't like it because having the exposed cables on the Top Tube makes them available to act as emergency controls in case your brake lever or shifter lever is broken on a trip. I've ridden trails with a hand on the front derailer cable to keep it from auto-shifting, and I've pulled the rear brake cable by hand when my shift lever was bashed and out of adjustment too. This is common practice.

Also, I've heard of accelerator cables on Baja SAE cars being pulled manually during an endurance race because of a pedal or cable failure, but that's probably something you should be black flagged for if you get caught.
ErikHardy View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikHardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2012 at 3:28pm

Also, I've heard of accelerator cables on Baja SAE cars being pulled manually during an endurance race because of a pedal or cable failure, but that's probably something you should be black flagged for if you get caught.
LOL Why? Thats the fun of bajaWink
OctoberSky View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OctoberSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2012 at 8:54pm
Aside from looks, on triathlon bikes, the internal cable routing serves to reduce aerodynamic drag.  I know this sounds ridiculous when your bike has a moving, sweating, un-aerodynamic person on it, but there are wind tunnel tests showing some reduction in drag (and cross-wind drag) with internal cable routing on tri bikes.  Just an FYI
UCLA Racing
2010-2012 Captain

"we'll never win mini baja" -Cheddar
p.lewis View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2012 at 2:17am
Originally posted by ErikHardy ErikHardy wrote:

LOL Why? Thats the fun of bajaWink

I agree. Horrible and brilliant things are done to keep cars running in an endurance race. If you get caught, you have to be black flagged. I just don't want to suggest to anybody that routing the cable in the cockpit so you can yank it by hand is a "design feature."
Brauup View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brauup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2012 at 1:44pm
Thanks for the replies! I haven't been on for a couple days...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic