Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Design Reports

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerpsRacing-Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Design Reports
    Posted: Dec/17/2008 at 12:15am
Does anyone have copies of design reports from schools that scored well previously?

We've always lost points on this and really have never been able to determine what the judges really want to see.  What makes a good design report?  I'd love to see what other schools reports look like.
jarmumd View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jarmumd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2008 at 10:06am
I know that TTU is on the board, and they have always done well in design... Any chance we can see an old design report?  Maybe if you show yours, I'll show mine :)
JeremyB View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer
Last one standing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeremyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2008 at 11:30am
Design reports are top secret!

I think I can find Auburn's from '03 that won 1st. Probably embarrassing to look at now...

We had a student tech writer from the English department come to help in writing the report. We ended up reverting every change she made and still wound up #1. Didn't tell her though. Wink

Edited by JeremyB - Dec/18/2008 at 11:30am
53caddy View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 53caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2008 at 4:27pm
Our team also need help on the design report & cost report. That is where we are lacking from years past.
2009 UTC Mini Baja
TerpsRacing-Dan View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerpsRacing-Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2008 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by JeremyB JeremyB wrote:

Design reports are top secret!

I think I can find Auburn's from '03 that won 1st. Probably embarrassing to look at now...

We had a student tech writer from the English department come to help in writing the report. We ended up reverting every change she made and still wound up #1. Didn't tell her though. Wink

What elements did the judges like about that report? If you don't want to share the report, could you share an outline or maybe some bullet points?

I'd be more then willing to share ours, but it scored quite poorly.   Maybe some peer review would be helpful.

Edited by TerpsRacing-Dan - Dec/18/2008 at 4:38pm
TerpsRacing-Dan View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerpsRacing-Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2008 at 1:13pm
Email me at DanielSethPearl@gmail.com for a copy of our report.  It scored 35/75 at Montreal, which i feel was a bit harsh.  I think alot of our problems with it were having one person write it (me) and not starting early enough.  Any feedback you can give would be great, feel free to tear it apart.

BTW do you have an SAE paper # for your loading report, I'll dig it up the next time I get to the library.    
pinojulio View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinojulio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2009 at 6:02pm
please  i need help with the desing report, if you can please send me a model to this email pinojulio@hotmail.com
infocustrasti View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocustrasti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2009 at 8:46pm
I could use an example report as well. Please let me know if you get permission to send foward those. email: fontanhd@notes.udayton.edu 
Kenneth View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2009 at 9:35am
As has been said here, design reports are very valuable information. I remember ours actually getting stolen at the Dayton race in 2005!
University of Michigan Baja Racing
infocustrasti View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocustrasti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2009 at 1:00pm
I do realize that but i'm more concerned with the format... so a good written 1993 report would do...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic