Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dented tubes repair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AG_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dented tubes repair
    Posted: Oct/10/2017 at 12:11pm
Hi, 
My team will be competing in 2 competitions this year, and based on how last year went I've realized some potential design/tech inspection difficulties. 
In illinois last year we dented one of the lower frame members, hitting a pretty big boulder. It was a 1.25in .058, I am still surprised how it happened. 

Either way, my question is whether any of you had dented a frame member, then had to go to a second competition several days later (also a 2 day drive). I heard of how dents are fixed in aircraft, but Im not sure of what would pass tech inspection here. 

Ariel
Suspension/Engineering on Ryerson Baja
Suspension on Ryerson Formula racing
Nick914 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick914 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 7:48am
Done it a couple times
Chop off the dented part and replace it. If a butt joint is needed, do it as per the rules.
Nicholas Lefebvre

Universite Laval
RLM View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 8:15am
as said before, cut out and replace, also, if your LFS is 1.25 x 0.058, it shouldn't have passed tech anyways. Since those are primary members, minimum wall thickness is 0.062" (B 3.2.16), unless your talking about lower members behind the RRH in which case, your thickness is fine and it should be even easier to cut out and replace the members. 
McMaster Baja Racing (09-Dec 2015)
Team Captain 2012-2015
Suspension Lead 2015-2016
All spoonfeed PM requests will be billed at $10 USD per reply, payable via paypal.
AG_ View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AG_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 7:53pm
Yeah my bad I confused it, it is .065. it is up front so yeah it should be .065. what about adding something like a half diameter "doubler" patch on top of the dent?
Ariel
RLM View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2017 at 8:17am
that fix you should run by the official tech inspectors by submitting a rules clarification question. I personally would not accept it, however, I am not a technical inspector
Team Captain 2012-2015
All spoonfeed PM requests will be billed at $10 USD per reply, payable via paypal.
AG_ View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AG_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2017 at 8:01pm
Fair enough, I'll review the rules again and submit an inquiry. Thanks for the advice, and good luck this season
Ariel
samgar View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samgar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2018 at 4:55pm
Hello, I write from Zulia - Venezuela, we have decided to start this year with the BAJA project, we are completely new, could you help us understand how to calculate the ideal diameters with their respective thicknesses?
What is the mail of the inspectors SAE for next cuestions.?
I appreciate your help!
RLM View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2018 at 7:55am
The formulas are literally printed in the rulebook. i'd advise you give that a good read through a few times before starting your design.
Team Captain 2012-2015
samgar View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samgar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2018 at 6:24pm
I understand that, however, I want to know what Sy should have for Sb Calculus!
There are many, but I think it's 460MPa.
Is the minimum thickness suitable for the primary pipe?
We do not intend to compete, we just want to start the project for the first time.
RLM View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2018 at 8:13am
Sy will depend on what type of steel you plan on using. make sure to take into account availability of the tubing in your area.
if you plan to buy and use 1020 steel tube, use the Sy for that, if you plan to use A2 steel, use the Sy for that. dont just look up a bunch of different ones and pick one. each type of steel only has one Sy.

as far as whether or not the minimum thickness is suitable for YOUR primary members, that is for you too determine.
Team Captain 2012-2015
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic