Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dammed Style Reservoir MC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boyracer22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dammed Style Reservoir MC
    Posted: Jan/29/2012 at 12:09pm
Guys, just want to know if a dammed style reservoir (with a partition in the tank to separate the two hydraulic circuits) is acceptable, or do i need to strictly use a separate reservoir for each circuit.

There was a bit of confusion about the rule.

Thanks
CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2012 at 4:53pm
Yes it's acceptable but they two circuits must be separate from that point down.

Edited by CLReedy21 - Jan/29/2012 at 4:55pm
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

"Quick with the hammer, slow with the brain."
boyracer22 View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boyracer22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2012 at 3:08am
Thanks for clarifying that Chris,

Cheers mate
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boyracer22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2012 at 3:16am
To be more specific, this is the exact part we intend to use:

CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2012 at 6:16pm
That part is not acceptable.  Both fluid circuits share a common reservoir.  If one was to fail both would fail since they use the same fluid supply.  For it to be considered a dammed reservoir the fluid supply must be divided into two "dammed" areas.  The reservoir might only have one lid but the system effectively has two fluid chambers.
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

"Quick with the hammer, slow with the brain."
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boyracer22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2012 at 1:02am

Thanks for the reply Chris, it solved the doubt I had previously.

But the one I have is the same master cylinder, with the partition in the reservoir for the two individual circuits. It wasn't shown in the images as the lid wasn't open. I hope that should be fine...

Other than the reservoir issue, is it okay to use this instead of a tandem MC?
I'm basically using two front disks and one rear on my car; and this one has the division of the circuit for the front brakes within the cylinder itself. So I can easily have 3 brake lines running from the cylinder (2 Front, 1 Rear). Besides it has the option of adusting the push-rod travel into either of the cylinders, so I can vary my brake bias easily.

Thanks Again

Cheers!
Tony Rivera View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Rivera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 11:09pm
We tried to use a single dammed reservoir similar to this in Washington in 2010, and we were required to change it because our "dam" was not tall enough.

Please post a picture of the dam, so we can see how well it separates. The issue with our was that in bumpy situations (common for us), it was possible for fluid to splash over the resevoir and have the faulty system completely drain the entire system.

I do not disagree with the inspectors choice to make us change it (it made for a good story involving following a local 20 miles into the woods to remove 2 brake systems from old VW Bugs), but I would hate to see this happen to another team.
Tony Rivera

Arizona State University
Team Captain 2009-2010

Local Motors Vehicle Systems Engineer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic