Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CVTech CVT Reassembly

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcf030 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CVTech CVT Reassembly
    Posted: Mar/20/2019 at 9:40am
Hi everyone,

A week or two back my team and I disassembled the secondary pulley to test the spring/possibly switch it out. However, there's a ring that sits between the pulley plates and the shaft they're on and I believe it's to keep that pulley from moving in and out (or at least adds resistance) as the plate moves really freely up and down the shaft now. Our team really isn't sure how to put it back together and whether we could do it ourselves or not. I'm attaching a picture for clarification. The markings on the ring and plate indicate that the ring goes in that spot. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

http://forums.bajasae.net/forum/uploads/4956/0319191542.jpg
RLM View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2019 at 2:00pm
did you not look at how it was assembled and take pictures before taking it apart? I can't remember all the details of how these go together as the last one i took apart was in probably 2012. one of the pulley plates is supposed to slide freely on the shaft (otherwise how would it move during operation. once you add the spring and helix, that's where the resistance to that movement comes from. I can't off the top of my head remember where that spacer goes though. part of me thinks it goes between the two, but i'm not 100%
McMaster Baja Racing (09-Dec 2015)
Team Captain 2012-2015
Suspension Lead 2015-2016
All spoonfeed PM requests will be billed at $10 USD per reply, payable via paypal.
jcf030 View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcf030 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2019 at 8:04pm
I spoke with cvtech and they called it a shim and said it sits between the two plates, so you might be right that it's simply to prevent the two plates rubbing against each other before any shift happens. I also don't think the belt ever actually touches that shaft so that would work. They sent me a 3D model parasolid file which i'm struggling to open to confirm, but most things point to it being fine.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic