Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CVT Tuning Rig

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacobxrt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CVT Tuning Rig
    Posted: Jan/21/2019 at 10:56pm
Hello all,

We are in the process of designing a CVT tuning rig where we can tune and test our CVT engagement off of the car.  We are going to measure the RPM's at the primary and secondary CVT and plot the data via encoders.  

We are trying to figure out how to calculate the force it takes for the cars wheel to turn given parasitic drag, aerodynamic drag, rotational mass of tires, etc.  We need to figure the best way to put some sort of resistance to rotation on the secondary shaft of the CVT so it will not free spool.  This resistance needs to be equivalent to the car's resistance.  What would be the best way to induce this resistance (ie. flywheel, Eddy Current, DC motor with a resistance bank, water dyno, etc.), and how would the value of this resistance to rotation be calculated?

Thanks
Nick914 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick914 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2019 at 7:46am
Cheap and easy, you can mount a car disc brake with the caliper mounted on a pivot
Nicholas Lefebvre

Universite Laval
MeetingMgr View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeetingMgr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2019 at 4:22pm
A few years out of school, post baja, I worked in powertrain testing and development and wanted to build a CVT rig as a learning exercise. I had access to a lot of second test equipment from my employer.  Life and career took me in a different direction and that really never panned out but I ended up purchasing the appropriate dyno drives on ebay.  

If anyone wants to pick them up in SE Michigan, they're free to any Baja team that feels they can make good use of them.  They are Unico 2400's. This is a recirculating drive setup meaning you don't have to dump any load. I can get more specifics if anyone has serious interest.
Bettner12 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bettner12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2019 at 10:54am
What Hp and voltage are the drives?
Penn College of Technology Alumni

Maryland 2018 Organizer

joedenly View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joedenly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2019 at 1:43am
Thanks for sharing tunning CVT rig as it helps me tremendously.
joedenly View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joedenly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2019 at 1:45am
Looking for something process which would help me to get the solution for the CVT so far  https://errorcode0x.com/error-code-0x80070002/ - https://errorcode0x.com/error-code-0x80070002/ helped me to get the one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic