Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cost report for tubing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isbaird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cost report for tubing
    Posted: Feb/25/2018 at 11:17pm
When inputting the cost for a part made of 4130 tubing (roll cage, for example), how are you supposed to enter in the raw material for the frame? I've tried messing around with it for a while and have been staring at the Powerpoint slide SAE provided as a tutorial, but it doesn't make sense to me yet.

In the example from the PPT, they had the cost of an a-arm material listed as X kilograms of mild steel. Are we supposed to input the raw weight of material required for the frame, and then list all the manufacturing processes (welding, bending, etc)? Obviously raw steel will have a different cost than thin wall tubing, but I don't see any options for tubes. 

I'm sure I'm probably overlooking something basic, but I'm legitimately stuck right now.
Andy.R View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy.R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2018 at 2:13am
Better late than never, you cost the material by volume. So tubes would be the crossectional area x L . 

Hopefully, you got cost report in!
Andrew Raudabaugh
-Cyclone Off Road Racing 2013-18
-Aspiring Lottery Winner
-Just show up and do things
Isbaird View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isbaird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2018 at 12:10am
We got it in on time, thankfully. Unless I'm mistaken, I believe costing material by weight vs volume would come out with the same result. Volume cost seemed to be a factor of the density of the material and the cost per mass. Inputting the mass seemed to be a more straightforward method of calculating cost, given you already knew the mass of the tubes you were using. Again, I could be totally wrong and am setting myself up for an annoying audit.

It seems they were really trying to standardize the cost of materials and processes this year. I'm assuming they're trying to account for the fact that some states/countries will have cheaper or more expensive material prices. As a result, it's going to be very beneficial to teams who make almost all of their car in-house. Gaged CVT: ~$1300. "In-house" manufactured CVT: ~$500. WIll be interesting to see how strict they are with cost report this year.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic