Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competitions > SAE Sanctioned Competitions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Baja Southern California 2016?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Baja Southern California 2016?
    Posted: May/02/2014 at 1:17am
Are you a Baja Grad living in Southern California? Do you want more Baja in your life? Would you be interested in helping organizing an event?

It's been a while since Baja SAE was in the southwest, and it seems time to let the teams out here have a break from the massive drives every year. 

Initial thought is approach Willow Springs International Raceway in Rosamond, CA. There's a bunch of desert terrain on site, and it's built on the side of a mountain, so there's some elevation, unlike the rest of the Antelope Valley. Plus, they already have the capability to host such an event. 

Palmdale/Lancaster, California have sufficient hotel space to host teams, and the Antelope Valley is home to all the major aerospace companies who may be willing to sponsor the event. Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Boeing and General Atomics all have a presence here. 

Down in Greater LA, many of the car companies have a presence: Tesla Motors, Hyundai, Toyota (well, for now), Mercedes. Not to mention NASA JPL and SpaceX.

Just north of Palmdale/Lancaster is Mojave: home to Scaled Composites and a Hyundai/KIA proving ground (Perhaps another site possibility? Farther away.)

This is all fairly early talk. I'm mainly looking to see who is in the area / would be interested in helping. It takes a lot of dedicated effort to make an event like this happen. A 2016 race is probably a reasonable target.

Oh also, it would probably need to be a local SAE chapter sponsoring, rather than a school. Unless one of the schools around here wants to jump on board. 

Off-roading at Willow Springs:

Edited by adrive7 - May/02/2014 at 1:22am
-Joe
Chief Organizer, Baja California 2016, 2017, 2019
Ohio State Baja 2005-2009
Co-Host, Science... Sort Of
http://www.sciencesortof.com
Soccerdan7 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2014 at 1:20am
I recently moved from Lancaster, CA up north to Sunnyvale, CA (I left my job at Scaled Composites). I know the area well and would be happy to help plan a race. I would want to plan stuff from up here but could come down on a few weekends to build tracks, etc as the race approaches.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Former Captain / MEng / that guy with all the carbon
10 races, 7 top ten's, 2 overall wins
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2014 at 1:22am
Cal poly - pomona and UCLA both have very successful programs that could maybe be roped in to host?
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
adrive7 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2014 at 1:23am
Sweet. Those schools were on my list of potentials, yeah. At this stage I imagine there would be lots to do online/by phone anyway. Any course building wouldn't happen til nearer the race.

Got tired of working in Mojave? :-P

Edited by adrive7 - May/02/2014 at 1:26am
-Joe
BroncoX View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BroncoX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2014 at 10:34am
I have always wanted to help organize this and have been a big supporter of it for years. I ride the deserts of Johson Valley/Stoddard wells occasionally and even some of the local MX tracks. Our advisor was talking to the owners of Glen Helen MX a while ago to try and get the ball rolling for an even there. Not quite desert but its a dedicated racing facility for MX, trophy karts, short-course, rally-cross and many others. I'm from Cal Poly Pomona so lmk if I can help in any way.
Cal Poly Pomona

Bronco Racing
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2014 at 11:08am
Originally posted by adrive7 adrive7 wrote:

Got tired of working in Mojave? :-P

haha, nailed it.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
adrive7 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2014 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by BroncoX BroncoX wrote:

I have always wanted to help organize this and have been a big supporter of it for years. I ride the deserts of Johson Valley/Stoddard wells occasionally and even some of the local MX tracks. Our advisor was talking to the owners of Glen Helen MX a while ago to try and get the ball rolling for an even there. Not quite desert but its a dedicated racing facility for MX, trophy karts, short-course, rally-cross and many others. I'm from Cal Poly Pomona so lmk if I can help in any way.

Yeah I considered Glen Helen, and it's certainly still a possibility, but it's just another MX course track. I figure we should try to use the desert terrain.

The Antelope Valley Fairgrounds is also a possibility for a MX course track.

Places to keep in mind, but I'd like to shoot for a more "baja like" baja course.
-Joe
mehtaN View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mehtaN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2014 at 2:21pm
I sent Sam a message and will be speaking with him at the Kansas Competition. I'm assuming all the 2015 locations have been chosen already? 

mehtaN View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mehtaN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2014 at 2:26pm
Also, we could look into the Hungry Valley Recreation Area as another potential location. 
adrive7 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2014 at 5:07pm
I assumed 2015 is set, maybe not.

I considered Hungry Valley too, since the Gorman Rally runs there. But the Lebec area doesnt quite have the infrastructure (hotels, motox stores, restaurants, etc) that Palmdale/Lancaster have. They're nearby Hungry Valley, but still ~60 min. Too far for nightly hotel, I think.
-Joe
Aztec Warrior View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aztec Warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2014 at 11:01pm

I heard in UTEP that 2015 is not set yet. From what I understand, Oregon is still up in the air. SAE is not going up there unless the MX track is available, and that is no guarantee. It has been muddy there in the past, and the track was closed to competition, causing a re-rout of the endurance track at the last minute.

"To finish first, you must first finish"

SDSU Baja 2010 and 2014
McMillin Racing 2005-present
paasch View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paasch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2014 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by Aztec Warrior Aztec Warrior wrote:

I heard in UTEP that 2015 is not set yet. From what I understand, Oregon is still up in the air. SAE is not going up there unless the MX track is available, and that is no guarantee. It has been muddy there in the past, and the track was closed to competition, causing a re-rout of the endurance track at the last minute.

I had a short conversation with one of the Oregon organizers today, they are already holding planning meetings for BajaSAE Oregon 2015. I would not be surprised if they change the venue though.
Bob Paasch
Faculty Advisor
Oregon State SAE
mehtaN View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mehtaN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2014 at 3:56am
One thing to keep in mind with both gorman/hungry valley and lancaster is that they might not have the spectator draw that UTEP had. It was definitely something different and special to see spectators come with no affiliation and enjoy the enduro day. But then again that could be something unique to UTEP because the terrain is so close to the campus. 
UCLA Racing | Baja SAE
2011-2016
adrive7 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2014 at 3:59am
So... Urban Baja through LA. Swap the Mud Lites for Hoosiers?

Thumbs Up
-Joe
adrive7 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2014 at 4:14am
Seriously though, we'd probably be better off than many competitions. Considering the number of close competing schools, it'd be easier to draw traveling spectators than it is for most races. UTEP definitely had an advantage by having the event ON campus. 

CSULB I believe has an engineering campus in the Antelope Valley as well. I know they compete, but I assume they're based out of the Long Beach campus.
-Joe
adrive7 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2014 at 4:16am
Originally posted by paasch paasch wrote:

Originally posted by Aztec Warrior Aztec Warrior wrote:

I had a short conversation with one of the Oregon organizers today, they are already holding planning meetings for BajaSAE Oregon 2015. I would not be surprised if they change the venue though.

If 2015 isn't set in stone, it's probably doable. I was assuming it was. 2 years also gives pleeeeenty of time to plan, haha. But I think a year is probably enough time.
-Joe
juliochiang08 View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juliochiang08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2014 at 6:42pm
That would be nice... also you can consider that in LA, and San Diego California there are some Baja 1000 competitors that can help with the organization of the event, I know people of Vildosola Racing and they would be happy to help if it's in California!
joey.m.gonzalez View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey.m.gonzalez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2014 at 8:30pm

If 2015 isn't set in stone, it's probably doable. I was assuming it was. 2 years also gives pleeeeenty of time to plan, haha. But I think a year is probably enough time.

Haven't you learned anything from doing mini baja? There is never enough time! LOL

and I will be an alum after the Peoria event, so I'm willing to help, I just don't want to build another mini baja car, haha.
adrive7 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2014 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by joey.m.gonzalez joey.m.gonzalez wrote:

Haven't you learned anything from doing mini baja? There is never enough time! LOL

and I will be an alum after the Peoria event, so I'm willing to help, I just don't want to build another mini baja car, haha.

lol, true story.
-Joe
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juliochiang08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2014 at 10:29pm
So... this will happen? I can contact the people of Vildosola Racing to see if they want to help
adrive7 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2014 at 11:09pm
I wouldnt jump on that just yet. 
-Joe
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2014 at 12:02am
I am ready to be involved and would love to help plan an event and design and build some tracks but since I moved to NorCal I do not want to be the main point of contact. Is this going to happen?
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
BroncoX View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BroncoX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2014 at 4:49pm
I just spoke with our advisor today (Cliff Stover of Cal Poly Pomona). He's still on board to keep contacting the operators of Glen Helen to try and make this happen. According to him they got busy with the MX national so he hasn't spoke to them for a few months but will bring it up again. Glen Helen isn't only an MX course, its an actual OHV area and they often use trails that go run all over the hills or neighboring washes so it has some potential to have a variety of terrain for an endurance corse. I'm just curious, does anybody not like the idea of having it at Glen Helen?
Cal Poly Pomona

Bronco Racing
mehtaN View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mehtaN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2014 at 5:08pm
I definitely want to be involved in helping make this a reality and a lot of team members at UCLA want to see this happen as well. 

Does the area near Glen Helen have the infrastructure needed to provide rooms for all the teams that would be coming? 
UCLA Racing | Baja SAE
2011-2016
mehtaN View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mehtaN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2014 at 5:12pm
And back to the original post it would be the most beneficial if the professional chapter helped host rather than one school. Sam Barill also mentioned thats the smarter way to go and since we have individuals from different schools interested we would be able to pool all the interested people into one. 
UCLA Racing | Baja SAE
2011-2016
Tony Rivera View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Rivera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2014 at 8:41pm
I am in AZ, but I would love to help in whatever way possible (Which includes many possible venues in AZ, as well as plenty of industry connections)
Tony Rivera

Arizona State University
Team Captain 2009-2010

Local Motors Vehicle Systems Engineer
BroncoX View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BroncoX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2014 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by mehtaN mehtaN wrote:

I definitely want to be involved in helping make this a reality and a lot of team members at UCLA want to see this happen as well. 

Does the area near Glen Helen have the infrastructure needed to provide rooms for all the teams that would be coming? 

Yes there are. I know Glen Helen even hosts camping for the big races and such but I don't know what the chances of teams camping there would be, or if they would let us.
Cal Poly Pomona

Bronco Racing
adrive7 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2014 at 9:12pm
Dang, didn't get updates from this thread for a few days. My thought with Glen Helen was it's already a MX track, you can have MX track races anywhere. We have Baja-like terrain in SoCal, why not try to use it? That's why I was thinking up here at Willow Springs. 

Of course, I also live up here, so it'd be easy. Selfish, I know. Glen Helen's about an hour away.

Both places have the required infrastructure.
-Joe
adrive7 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2014 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by Soccerdan7 Soccerdan7 wrote:

I am ready to be involved and would love to help plan an event and design and build some tracks but since I moved to NorCal I do not want to be the main point of contact. Is this going to happen?

It seems like there are enough interested grads in the area to have an organizing crew. Maybe I should email Sam. mehtaN were you able to speak with him at Kansas?
-Joe
mehtaN View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mehtaN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2014 at 3:34am
I did talk with him and he said he is extremely interested and it would be a 2016 or 2017 competition. I'm going to send him an email to get the organizers manual. 
UCLA Racing | Baja SAE
2011-2016
adrive7 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2014 at 10:19am
Thumbs Up
-Joe
schooter View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2014 at 4:48pm
Hey. Can't guarantee that I'm available. Please keep me in the loop though. I've done design judging and did the video broadcasting at Peoria (which I did alone with a very low budget).

BTW, this thread may be better off in the organizers subforum. 
Chase Schuette
https://www.linkedin.com/in/chaseschuette/
adrive7 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2014 at 6:11pm
This thread will eventually wander to Organizers, but currently just exploratory. 
-Joe
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2014 at 6:24pm
So it looks like this is the list of interested people so far:

Joe / adrive7 (Ohio State)
Max / BroncoX (Cal Poly Pomona)
Nirav / mehtaN (UCLA)
Joey / joey.m.gonzalez (San Diego St Univ)
Tony / Tony Rivera (Arizona State)
Chase / schooter (Iowa State)
Danny / soccerdan7 (Cornell)

I know there are 3 or 4 other Cornell alumni in the area that would be happy to help out but they aren't on the forums.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
mehtaN View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mehtaN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2014 at 3:05am
I think the next thing I'm going to do as soon as summer hits (its still finals season at UCLA) is to contact SAE So-Cal to see if they have any input. 
UCLA Racing | Baja SAE
2011-2016
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juliochiang08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2014 at 8:20pm
My team mates and me are interested too, we're from CETYS in Mexico
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey.m.gonzalez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2014 at 1:59pm
Bump... any updates on this? As much as Glen Helen would be rad, like someone else mentioned, you can have a race at an MX track pretty much anywhere.
adrive7 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2014 at 1:18pm
No updates at the moment. Sorry I've been kind of quiet. Trying to sort some job stuff... making sure I'll still be living out here in 2016 before jumping in with both feet. 
-Joe
BroncoX View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BroncoX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2014 at 10:55am
I've got no updates on my end as well, keeping ears open though.
Cal Poly Pomona

Bronco Racing
RyanJ View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyanJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2014 at 12:30pm
Great to see some interest in a California based Baja SAE event.  I helped start the Oregon event in 2004 after seeing the 'West' event held in El Paso and Kansas...  We are gearing up to host the event again in 2015, making it our 5th effort.  Feel free to contact me for advise when you get momentum going.  
adrive7 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2014 at 8:22pm
Cool, thanks Ryan. 
-Joe
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey.m.gonzalez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2014 at 1:35am
We may want to start a conversation going with the Southern California SAE Chapter.

Who will lead the charge? 2016 will be here before we know it!

Ryan, thanks and see you in Oregon!
mehtaN View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mehtaN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2014 at 7:29pm
I can go ahead and drop a line to section chair. I met her recently at the so cal workshop. 

UCLA Racing | Baja SAE
2011-2016
adrive7 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2015 at 7:43pm
BUMP!

Hey, so this was a thing. Sorry, my life got a little crazy for a while. Wasn't sure if I was going to be in SoCal in 2016, but that's all sorted now. 

Who wants to host a race?! If you're interested in perhaps being a organizer for a SoCal race in 2016, please reply. I'd like to get this ball rolling for a targeted May 2016 competition.

Is this list still accurate?

Joe / adrive7 (Ohio State)
Max / BroncoX (Cal Poly Pomona)
Nirav / mehtaN (UCLA)
Joey / joey.m.gonzalez (San Diego St Univ)
Tony / Tony Rivera (Arizona State)
Chase / schooter (Iowa State)
Danny / soccerdan7 (Cornell)

Thanks!

-Joe
schooter View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2015 at 8:42pm
I'll keep myself tentative for this event. Just not sure if I would be able to make the trip. I've always wanted to visit California though. If nothing else I can help long distance in whatever way possible.
Chase Schuette
https://www.linkedin.com/in/chaseschuette/
Aztec Warrior View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aztec Warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2015 at 8:51pm
I could possibly help a bit. At least test the track. Pit me on the list
"To finish first, you must first finish"

SDSU Baja 2010 and 2014
McMillin Racing 2005-present
adrive7 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2015 at 9:49pm
Let's do it this way, actually.... If you're interested in helping out post it here, but PM me your real name and some contact info.
-Joe
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2015 at 10:34am
I would be interested. I am in NorCal but could make a couple trips down.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Tony Rivera View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Rivera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2015 at 1:14pm
Are you looking at having this be an official SAE sanctioned race, or one of the Non-Sanctioned events? I have been trying to get one of the AZ Schools to host it for a while, but in the meantime I have held my own unsanctioned event, and word has gotten around, and I am hoping that some time in the next few years one of the schools will step up and take over. I would suggest trying to host an unsanctioned event first to try to figure out some of the logistics that go into it, and then move forward from there.
Tony Rivera

Arizona State University
Team Captain 2009-2010

Local Motors Vehicle Systems Engineer
BroncoX View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BroncoX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2015 at 3:00pm
I have talked to UCLA, CSUF (Fullerton) and SDUS about doing some local testing together before this season's comps. Some of us are going to Auburn but it was too difficult to organize something before that event. Next best thing would be a session before Oregon where a lot of other west coast schools will be or after comp season for something non-sanctioned. 

As far as actual SAE event...We had some serious talks with Glen Helen Raceway and some SAE reps, including Sam, even came out to see the site but plans fell through. I don't have all the details on why but we did get that far with it.
Cal Poly Pomona

Bronco Racing
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic