Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

4130 vs. 4140

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 53caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4130 vs. 4140
    Posted: Dec/10/2008 at 10:41am
Has anybody in years past used 4140. Also, if nobody has why not.
2009 UTC Mini Baja
jarmumd View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jarmumd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2008 at 11:14pm
I should know this, I used to be the frame designer, but I forgot.  As I understand it, you would use 4140 for things like axles and driveshafts.  In other words, in race cars 4140 is used for drivetrain parts, 4130 is used for frame construction.  If I get some time, I'll try to search for why...
JHrdy724 View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JHrdy724 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2008 at 10:46am
everything i've read seems to lead to 4130 being easier for welding and fab work, and is more readily sold in tube/sheet compared to 4140 which is mainly used in thicker components because it is more readily heat treatable to higher levels (RC40's over RC30's)and machines easier.  then again thats just random websurfing.  I think Carroll Smith covers this in one of the books
There are three easy ways of losing money - racing is the quickest, women the most pleasant, and farming the most certain.
Lord Amherst
dillon_b12 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2008 at 12:07pm
You are thinking of 4340.

http://books.google.com/books?id=5a8937Pc6uEC&pg=PA64&lpg=PA64&dq=carroll+smith+4340&source=web&ots=QzHFjxweal&sig=b0ELNEFs39MHyiUyrqm1dKGYxkA&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result
jarmumd View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jarmumd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2008 at 1:06pm
I was thinking 4340 - this is off of McMaster

Multipurpose 4140/4142 Alloy Steel
Also called “chrome-moly” steel because of its main alloying elements (chromium and molybdenum), which give it good fatigue, abrasion, and impact resistance. Readily formed and machined in its annealed state and can be heat treated to increase toughness and wear resistance. Material is a good choice for crankshafts, gears, axles, and shafts.

Very similar to 4140, but has a lower carbon content, giving it better weldability and formability while retaining good fatigue, abrasion, and impact resistance. Use it when military specifications must be met and for your most demanding structural applications.

Specially designed for applications involving severe impact, wear, heat, and stress, this highly alloyed steel (nickel, chromium, and molybdenum) is stronger and more shock resistant than 4140.

53caddy View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 53caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2008 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by jarmumd jarmumd wrote:

That said, I don't think there is anything in the rules that keeps you from using 4140 - i suppose you can get it free or for better cost?  I always thought 4130 was more readily available

Well it was just a side thought. The company I work for was saying that they might have had some extra in there tube warehouse.
2009 UTC Mini Baja
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic