Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2D Road Profile

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy.R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2D Road Profile
    Posted: Feb/05/2018 at 4:45pm
I am reviving an old Baja Member's half car model to help me get some shaft velocity numbers and would like to screw with damping rates and such. To do so, I need some terrain numbers. Does anyone happen to have an excel sheet with mapped out numbers for whoops and jumps from a Baja course? I can make some estimations of heights and distances but would love real data. We have the capability of getting real numbers (via pull behind trailer with position sensor) but lack the environment(just snowed 6") and a track.

I can repay data with memes and some Baja stories!

Cheers!

desertwolf View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2018 at 10:53pm
I don't have any solid numbers, but from riding for my whole life here in SoCal, I do have a good idea about how big they are.

Whoops: These, like everything else, can vary in size, but on motocross tracks, the "standard" size is generally about 1.5' deep with about 6-8' gap between peaks. Some extreme cases are having them be 3' deep and/or having a nasty lip on them (from one way traffic), but are more seen on trails.

Jumps: These are a bit more uniform. Table tops can be either 10', 15', or 20' long and can be about 5-7' tall. As for small (<3') doubles and triples, treat them as whoops considering most of our cars aren't going to be jumping them. Then are some that are singles where if you get air, your flat landing. Then there are step ups, but treat these as two (maybe slightly smaller) table tops.

Ruts: This is also a major feature of a motocross track. These can range from a 1" to about 6" (or more if the track is muddy). Plus they could be soft (give away easily) or hard (not going to give away).

Another source of info is to look up professional mx/sx track designers. Some have their designs with dimension available. http://www.dirtwurx.com/track_tips.php

Hope this helps and is what you were looking for.
Andy.R View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy.R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2018 at 12:51am
Thanks for the quick response. That is a pretty good start from my perspective! I'll get a model together mixing a bunch of those suggestions and try to post a video once I get it running. I'm also planning to throw varying steps in just to see how the model will react.
Andrew Raudabaugh
-Cyclone Off Road Racing 2013-18
-Aspiring Lottery Winner
-Just show up and do things
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic