Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competitions > SAE Sanctioned Competitions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2014 Competition events

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miniputput Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2014 Competition events
    Posted: May/28/2013 at 4:31pm
Hi new guy here. When generally will the rules and events for next years competitions be posted? Or are the events in Washington usually the same every year?
Soccerdan7 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2013 at 4:47pm
The next year's competition sites are usually announced at the last competition or shortly there after. 

The rules are typically posted in August or September, whenever they are ready.

The "west" competition always has:
rock crawl
acceleration
maneuverability
hill climb or sled pull
sales presentation
cost
design
endurance

Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Former Captain / MEng / that guy with all the carbon
10 races, 7 top ten's, 2 overall wins
Red_Beard View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red_Beard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2013 at 6:10pm
I know one event will be in Peoria at the CAT testing grounds
SDSM&T 09-10 Team Lead
2nd & 9th Baja West

Project Engineer
Matrix Service - Bellingham, WA
miniputput View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miniputput Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2013 at 6:18pm
^Thanks. The SAE mini baja site is down so i'm assuming they are updating it. Have there been other West coast competition sites other than Washington and Oregon?
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2013 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by miniputput miniputput wrote:

^Thanks. The SAE mini baja site is down so i'm assuming they are updating it. Have there been other West coast competition sites other than Washington and Oregon?

In recent years the "West" competition has been in South Dakota, Illinois, Oregon, Washington...
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
paasch View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paasch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2013 at 6:42pm
While not official, I've heard that next year the 3 North American BajaSAE events will be in El Paso TX, Pittsburg KS and Peoria IL. 

I expect Peoria will again be the "West" competition with the presentation event and rock crawl. I've never been to a "West" competition that had a sled pull. More of a Midwest type of thing...
Bob Paasch
Faculty Advisor
Oregon State SAE
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miniputput Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2013 at 6:55pm
Why would Peoria IL be the West competition, when it's the most east out of those three? Or does "West" refer to the events and not the location?
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2013 at 7:51pm

Why would Peoria IL be the West competition, when it's the most east out of those three? Or does "West" refer to the events and not the location?

Traditionally, "West" had the rock crawl and presentation, "Midwest" had the most international teams and sometimes a mudbog, and "East" had the amphibious portion. They also corresponded to rough geographical locations. They have since removed the geographical distinctions and dropped the water component from the "East" race.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
FredC View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2013 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by Soccerdan7 Soccerdan7 wrote:

Traditionally, "West" had the rock crawl and presentation, "Midwest" had the most international teams and sometimes a mudbog, and "East" had the amphibious portion. They also corresponded to rough geographical locations. They have since removed the geographical distinctions and dropped the water component from the "East" race.

I hope the water event to come back someday!
DomUL View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DomUL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2013 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by FredC FredC wrote:

I think I know why ;) !!

El Paso TX would be a new event... in recent years though. Very interesting!
Dominic Marceau
Baja SAE Laval 2008 - 2012
Driver 2011 - 2012

http://minibaja.gmc.ulaval.ca/
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2013 at 1:57pm

Haha. Do you have more impeller nonsense up your sleeves?

We only competed in the water event in 2010 and 2011. In those 2 years, we built 4 floats, 4 Kevlar fenders and 6 plastic fenders.... That was enough for me and I was very glad Auburn did not have water last year.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miniputput Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2013 at 4:09pm
I am actually happy about the no water events. Making your car float seems like it sacrifices a lot such as clearance, maunverability , acceleration... These hybrid cars/boats aren't very good on land or water.
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2013 at 4:18pm

I am actually happy about the no water events. Making your car float seems like it sacrifices a lot such as clearance, maunverability , acceleration... These hybrid cars/boats aren't very good on land or water.

Everything you are saying is true, but it did add a unique aspect to the competition. Now the old "East" and "Midwest" competitions are virtually identical and the old "West" comp is the only unique one with a rock crawl and sales presentation. The old format made the Mike Schmidt Ironman Award even more difficult and prestigious.

The teams who excelled at water always loved it, but it did obviously force a series of compromises. Our team was always split, with the suspension / vehicle dynamics guys hating it above all else. Despite that, it is amazing though how well the "hybrid" cars could do in a challenging suspension event like RIT 2010...
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
FredC View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2013 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by Soccerdan7 Soccerdan7 wrote:

Haha. Do you have more impeller nonsense up your sleeves?

We only competed in the water event in 2010 and 2011. In those 2 years, we built 4 floats, 4 Kevlar fenders and 6 plastic fenders.... That was enough for me and I was very glad Auburn did not have water last year.

We didn't have the chance to improve it, we won't spend time trying to improve it unless there's a water event in the next years. But if they announce another water event, be sure we'll have some nice impeller on our car! Smile
CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2013 at 10:34pm
We always try to make the east a little muddier and rougher than Midwest.  Can't have the pizza cutters taking over.
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

"Quick with the hammer, slow with the brain."
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miniputput Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2013 at 7:39pm
Did they announce the whereabouts of the 2014 competitions at Rochester?
Nick914 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick914 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2013 at 7:55am
It was not announced but I asked Sam.
Mr. Paasch is right, comps will be in El Paso TX, Pittsburg KS and Peoria IL
Nicholas Lefebvre

Universite Laval
Pedro UFPBaja View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro UFPBaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2013 at 11:31am
2014 Baja SAE Brazil will be special due the 20th anniversary of Baja SAE Brasil, soon will be announced details.
Former Team Captain
joey.m.gonzalez View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey.m.gonzalez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2013 at 2:57am
For those that are lazy like me:

Quote Baja SAE Series
Registration Fee - $1,100
Engine Fee - $200

Baja SAE UTEP
April 24th – 27th  
El Paso, Texas
100 Team Limit

Baja SAE Kansas 
May 22nd – 25th  
Pittsburg, Kansas
100 Team Limit