Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1980 Baja pics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squirrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1980 Baja pics
    Posted: Jan/29/2009 at 12:10pm
Thought some of you guys might like this. Some pics we found of a 1980 baja race.
its interesting to see how the rules and cars have changed since then.

Its in the bottom right folder.

Edited by squirrel - Jan/29/2009 at 5:14pm
USF
www.usfracing.com
Kenneth View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2009 at 1:18pm
That is so awesome! Thanks for putting up these photos. Who needs suspension anyway?
University of Michigan Baja Racing
mu View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2009 at 2:34pm

Thanks for showing these.

We have a bunch of slides from the early 80s I've been meaning to go through.  There's also a 8mm reel but I have yet to find anyone that has a projector for it.

Those three wheelers and that six wheeler were pretty awesome.
Andy

2009-2010 Ohio State Baja SAE Captain
www.osubaja.com
jarmumd View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jarmumd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2009 at 3:47pm
sweet sweet nectar...  the highlight of the 2003 east competition was the slideshow of the early baja competitions - it's really amazing to see what came "in the before time" as they say.  Where...  Where did that bracing go...  that doesn't meet rules!  :) 

Auburns first baja car had no roll halo above the driver, only a firewall...  I think they had to build one for race, but we still have the picture of what it looked like before.
squirrel View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squirrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2009 at 5:11pm
My favorite pic is of someone driving with a t-shirt , shorts, and flipflops.
USF
www.usfracing.com
adrive7 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2009 at 6:44pm
Or the one with the guy driving without a shirt at all... Safety is overrated anyway.

Those pics are spectacular. Thanks for posting.
-Joe
Chief Organizer, Baja California 2016, 2017, 2019
Ohio State Baja 2005-2009
Co-Host, Science... Sort Of
http://www.sciencesortof.com
53caddy View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 53caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2009 at 10:03am
We looked at them Saturday in the shop.Those pictures are priceless
2009 UTC Mini Baja
frinesi2 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frinesi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2012 at 11:07pm
mod note: merge'd

So I just re-discovered this old photo album of USF's I had seen a while ago and I thought I would share it. It is from, I imagine, the very first days of mini-baja.

http://picasaweb.google.com/USFBajaSAE/OldBajaAtEastCompetition?ref=nf#

See how many modern rules you can find the origins of LOL

Also, apparently using water-jets is a LOT older of an idea than we all thought!

Edited by Mod Squad - Jan/30/2012 at 1:05am
ErikHardy View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikHardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2012 at 12:08am
I bet that black #8 three wheeler was not rubber side down very often. Those shorts need to come back in styleSmile
DB View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2012 at 7:17pm
Ye olden days........

Less autocad and more "we better weld on more frame..."

More "did it break when we test crashed it into that tree? and less FEA

Baja could use more used bed frames, volkswagon and tractor parts versus more carbon fiber and TIG welded chrome moly.

-Its not a bond fire unless you can see if from space!
collinskl1 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2012 at 9:10pm
Kyle Collins
Lipscomb University Alumni
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive
Product Engineer, Electronic Power Steering

... and the 8th simple machine: a bigger hammer.
GeauxFast View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeauxFast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2012 at 11:37am
Great pics, I'm in a few of those. My Grandfather worked in the M.E. shop at L.S.U. as a welder and he welded all the baja's from the '70s till the early '90s. Althought I was only 10 at the time, I rembember that trip very well(central Fl.). My Grandfather and Grandmother went to every competition untill the early '90s and I was luckily able to make most of those when I was younger. Thanks for the memories, he has many slides and super 8 video from all the competitions they went to, maybe I'll try and pull some out and post them here.   
p.lewis View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2012 at 1:51pm
More baja photos from 1982 we got from an old advisor:

Edited by p.lewis - Apr/06/2012 at 1:53pm
University of Rochester Alum
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic