Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competitions > SAE Sanctioned Competitions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

101 teams registered for Wisconsin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BruceD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 101 teams registered for Wisconsin
    Posted: Oct/15/2011 at 4:11pm
Anyone have any idea how the door got opened for team #101 . We would love to be #102. 
Soccerdan7 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2011 at 4:50pm
The 101st team to register was University of Wisconsin, Madison (Car #8). I would assume this was only allowed since somehow they missed registration and they are the host school.

There are many schools that missed out so there's not really a chance they would expand it. An FSAE style wait list would be nice though in case teams pull out and spaces open up later.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Former Captain / MEng / that guy with all the carbon
10 races, 7 top ten's, 2 overall wins
tp View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2011 at 4:58pm
While I think the waitlist is a great idea, I think SAE should give some incentive to the schools that are not going to make it to take their names off the list. Right now if you drop out the next guy in line pays $2000 and that's it. It'd be cool if they'd refund some of the team that drops out's money. Just my $0.02.
-Tom

Oregon State BajaSAE Team Captain
BruceD View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BruceD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2011 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Soccerdan7 Soccerdan7 wrote:

The 101st team to register was University of Wisconsin, Madison (Car #8). I would assume this was only allowed since somehow they missed registration and they are the host school.

There are many schools that missed out so there's not really a chance they would expand it. An FSAE style wait list would be nice though in case teams pull out and spaces open up later.

On the list team #101 is Alfred university and Car #8 would have already had a spot they are car #8 ? 
just saying ??
BruceD View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BruceD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2011 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by tp tp wrote:

While I think the waitlist is a great idea, I think SAE should give some incentive to the schools that are not going to make it to take their names off the list. Right now if you drop out the next guy in line pays $2000 and that's it. It'd be cool if they'd refund some of the team that drops out's money. Just my $0.02.
I would have to agree with that . every year there are a number of schools that for one reason or another can't make the commitment . A wait list would be cool and appreciated. Unfortunately most teams that will not make it don't give up untill the very last minute .   
There was talk of trying to make an offer to buy a spot from another team Wink  but I'm not sure that's ethical LOL .
The issue I see now is working for a year to prep a car and not getting in again next year . We missed it this year but not due to lack of trying we were on the site on time and just didn't get through Cry 
tp View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2011 at 5:23pm
Well what they do for FSG is that even if you are on the waitlist you still have to submit all of your documentation and all that so that way even if a team does drop out last minute then you are still prepared for competition.
-Tom

Oregon State BajaSAE Team Captain
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2011 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by BruceD BruceD wrote:

On the list team #101 is Alfred university and Car #8 would have already had a spot they are car #8 ? 
just saying ??

The top 10 don't automatically get a spot allocated, they just get their top 10 number if they register again. The numbers actually go up to 104 if you look further down the list and that is because 4 top 10 teams hadn't registered: Cal Poly Pomona, FEI, Wisconsin-Madison and Ohio Northern. FEI needs to qualify in one of the SAE Brasil spots, Pomona is going to Oregon, Wisconsin probably forgot and Ohio Northern missed out.

If you are so set on competing snag one of the last 3 spots for Auburn or the last 20 for Oregon. The rock crawl is a little different but not too hard and without water there is almost no difference between Auburn and Wisconsin.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
BruceD View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BruceD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2011 at 5:48pm
Yea my bad I looked at it after I posted and there are a number of triple digit teams as you say up to 104.
Auburn falls in the middle of our exam schedule , They are register for Oregon but... 
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2011 at 6:07pm
No worries. Try talking to your professors and see what the policies are for making up exams. Athletic teams can get tests rescheduled and we have used that precedent to take makeup exams in the past.

Kansas last year was my graduation weekend and that's why my facebook picture still has me in a cap and gown in the Pitt State mud...
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
paasch View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paasch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2011 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by Soccerdan7 Soccerdan7 wrote:

No worries. Try talking to your professors and see what the policies are for making up exams. Athletic teams can get tests rescheduled and we have used that precedent to take makeup exams in the past.

We're on the quarter system and the third North American BajaSAE event almost always falls during OSU's spring term finals week and graduation weekend.  I write a form letter every year describing the competition and dates, listing the students on the team, and asking the professors to work with the team members to reschedule any exams.  Some professors are picky about exam time and I have to proctor an exam at the competition.  I did two final exams that way at Illinois last year.  
Bob Paasch
Faculty Advisor
Oregon State SAE
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic